RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Enthusiasm rekindled afer a long lay-off

Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Enthusiasm rekindled afer a long lay-off

After about 20 fallow years, I've rekindled my enthusiasm for photography with the purchase of a D70. This forum seems to be exactly what I'm looking for to start again on the long process of improving my skills. For now, I want to concentrate on improving my composition and eye for a good picture, leaving things like manipulation and so for later. The only way I'm going to do that is to take the hits, and this forum seems to be the ideal place.

I'm mindful of the guideline about not swamping the forum with postings, so I hope you'll forgive me if I post a couple of examples taken on holiday in the States last year. In both cases, the only mods I've made to the original are with RawShooter Premium (which I'm still learning how to control..).

Sorry, I'm blathering. here are the pics:

Desert View Tower, Grand Canyon

Tucson, Arizona
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM

bloodnok,

welcome to RP.

glad you're taking up the craft again.

the 'tucson' shot is ok, but needs some work in photoshop to make it good. it's basically an average shot. there is some interest there, but it's not really clear what the shot is about. what's the focus and how do you bring it out? the eye wants to wander around looking for something to focus on.

therefore, on that one, i'd recommend some cropping and contrast and lighting changes. find the picture in the picture and enhance it.

now, on the grandcanyon picture, this is MUCH better. this is a good shot. there is depth and contrast, texture and lighting, all of which is adding to the picture rather than distracting from it. this is a good shot! the irregular roundnessess, the perspective...these are interesting. it's like a composite of interest. so, on this one, i wouldnt really change much of anything. well done!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Kraellin: thanks for that - it pretty much echoes my own feelings about the Tucson picture. It being a bit flat is probably down to me not being able to drive RawShooter properly when I did it (and not having invested in a monitor colorimeter at that time). Now that I've got a Spyder 2 and a bit more experience with RP) I think I'll have another go at it, starting with bringing out the texture and colour of the mountainside a bit more, then, as you say, looking for the picture within the image (if it's there, and it isn't more than just a memory of holiday...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2006, 05:05 PM

OK, I revisited the Tucson picture and fiddled about with the RAW image to tey to improve the hue, saturation and contrast (I'm now a bit concerned that I may have overdone it). I was having trouble getting much detail from the shadow areas of the mountains, so decided to leave them and concentrate on the texture of the lit areas. Unfortunately, there aren't many of those in the bit that I cropped to...

Concerning the composition and cropping to find the picture in the picture: I decided to use the house in the lower right as the start point to lead the eye back across the valley the mountains. OK, it's not going to win any prizes but I think it now tells a better "story" than the original. Was that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tucson 2005-08-15_03-02.jpg (90.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2006, 05:08 PM

BTW - I noticed it looks a bit less saturated on the web than it does inside PSPX. Is that because I'm saving from RP and editing in PSP using the Adobe 1998 profile? Is there a simple of way changing the profile used for an image when saving from PSPX? I couldn't find anything obvious apart from maybe changing PSP's profile in the colour management section...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 PM

bloodnok,

that looks better. more focused. you now have the contrast between foreground and background, the contrast of the lighting in the background and the contrast of the sky and mountains. so the eye doesnt wander so much. much better.

well, i dont know about the profiles causing a loss, but i do know that having to reduce to the 100k limit here will do it somewhat. you might try sRGB as your profile in psp. that one seems pretty standard.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 AM

Thanks very much for the help, Kraellin. Time now to go away and revisit some other photos taking those comments into account...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2006, 12:36 AM

you're welcome. and may the muse be with you.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques