RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

my wife

Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 PM

mchawkes.......looking at the pic again at home, the only thing i notice that looks kinda weird or shouldn't belong is if you follow the bridge of her nose up into the forehead, you'll notice what looks like a line going through the middle of her forehead, which is in the original pic also, i just figured since it was done so fantasy like, almost airbrushed.....the skin on the forehead might as well be totaly smooth like the cheeks.

just my opinion.

also, what percentage do you pick up on the whites...like teeth and eyes.....bc we usually never go below 4% when printing 4/c.....i was just curious what color reading you have when u sample that area. the color looks pretty nice on my screen. i notice the teeth on the left side of her mouth or right look like they have a nice natural tone, the tooth to the left looks a little hot. same with the top right corner of her eye compared to the botoom right corner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM

eyes/teeth

what percentage do you pick up on the whites...like teeth and eyes.....bc we usually never go below 4% when printing 4/c.....i was just curious what color reading you have when u sample that area. the color looks pretty nice on my screen. i notice the teeth on the left side of her mouth or right look like they have a nice natural tone, the tooth to the left looks a little hot. same with the top right corner of her eye compared to the botoom right corner.
lowest reading on eyes/teeth 5,3,3,0. But this is in the specular hl. I see what your saying about the ridge in the eyes. But if I get rid of it it seems to loose some sense of depth, and it is also a true feature of her forhead. Keep in mind this is ment to be more of a portrait/art type thing. I have some samples of beaty/glamour retouching where I can feel free to change prevalant features for the sake of "beauty" and not "likeness". Maybe ill post them later. Thanks for the critique.

Last edited by mchawkes; 06-14-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 PM

thanks for the reply mchawkes, i look forward to seeing more of your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 PM

Great effect! I think this is a great subject for a little Tutorial! "How to achieve that silvery finish on real flesh"
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the great compliments and critiques. They are much appreciated. Im getting alot of response as to how to obtain the sheen/silvery flesh tones. Actually I have samples of cosmetic/beauty retouching that shows this better. I will post these images later. I would be happy to do a tutorial (How do I do that?? Im new here), but it is actually a combination of a few techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 02:16 AM

just some things to consider here. a bit late. i can comment tomorrow.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after 2-1-k-1.jpg (88.2 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 AM

huh?

just some things to consider here. a bit late. i can comment tomorrow.
I think I have some funky profile thing cause when I open it in Photoshop the color and transitions look really bad. Harsh breaks from 3/4 to shads. plugged up shadow detail. green cast around the edges. tone in reflective hl's etc...

As for the nose thing... sorry, this is a portrait.. so I cant really change bone structure and retain the likeness.

Here is a detail shot so you can see close up what is really going on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before detail.jpg (61.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg after detail.jpg (88.2 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchawkes
As for the nose thing... sorry, this is a portrait.. so I cant really change bone structure and retain the likeness.
Artists have been 'creatively adjusting' people's features for centuries Theres nothing wrong with a small tweak here and there to make a portrait more flattering.
I made a minor adjustment to your image, given that you're stuck with the up-nostril shot and you dont want to make any structural changes, I've softened the shadows and highlights on the nost to make it less prominent, its still the same size and shape but attention is drawn away from it so we can focus on those gorgeously rendered lips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wifepainting.jpg (95.6 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 PM

mchawkes,

i'm not too surprised that mine looks a bit odd to you. i use psp 10 and it doesnt like the profile you had embedded, 'Cinema HD Display' and it changed it to sRGB. with that difference and with the compression to post here, it doesnt surprise me a bit. it looks fine on my monitor but we run into this a lot with various profiles and color spaces here on retouchpro.

so, throwing out my picture as a reference, i'll just give this in words. that you dont want to change the nose, why, ok. but i think nancy has the right of it in that case. just de-emphasize it a bit.

aside from that, i felt the lighting emphasis was off in your original. the highlights are spread such that the neck and shoulder and collar bone have the same weight as the face, cheek and eye areas. my attempt was to re-light the whole thing putting more emphasis on the face and less on the areas below. but, even having said that, i did find some interesting characteristics in your lighting. it did give a nice full feeling to the overall whereas mine tends to narrow things a bit. but lowing the highlights on the neck and shoulder could probably still be done without losing that 'full' feeling.

as well as changing the nose shape i also changed the lighting on it, adding more shadow both on the nose end and inside the nostril.

i also reduced a small shadow above her left eye. totally optional in this case.

there was a small blown out area near her left eye, between eye and nose that i re-did.

i blurred around the outer edges of the iris giving this a slightly softer look.

i added a bit more color to the lips and changed the lighting just a tiny bit to show more.

i found your texture quite interesting. seemed to be a bit of a crosshatch giving a sort of pore look to the skin. nothing wrong there, just interesting.

i know that having to compress images to 100k tends to lose a bit, so anything else could be chalked up to that and not worth mentioning.

i also know that a lot of my critiques are subjective and quite minor. overall, you did an excellent job and i wouldnt normally be this nit-picky but you mentioned having years of experience, so you probably have years of experience in dealing with 'critics' as well

it's a very good job and you could throw out everything i mentioned and it would still be a very good job. so, there ya go

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 04:36 PM

thanks

Thanks craig.. That is very valuable input. i messed with the nose thing, but it just does not look like my wife. So while to some it looks better to some, I just look at it and see that its not an accurate rendition, given that I see her every day of my life. I just think.. whats wrong with her nose! If it was strictly cosmetic or a fashion type thing I would completely agree. I dont object trying different lighting though. The texture pattern only shows at the large zoom. when output at the size of the litho, its very subtle and actually looks like its on a tightly weaved canvas. But at the large size, yes it looks bad.

Subtle color adjustments and contrast issues seems trivial and counter productive given the in-discrepancies of monitors.. who knows, you might be applying corrections that make the image look more like the litho on your screen. Does that make sense. In other words if I saw the image on your screen, I might agree with the changes, but on mine, it looks bad.

Thank you though... I really appreciate your sensitive eye. I have posted some more images that are typical retouching/fashion and not portraiture that might be better suited to retouching critiques.

Last edited by mchawkes; 06-21-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques