Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Continuing the quest to improve

Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bloodnok
Well, there's a limit on what I can upload to photobucket, but I'll see what I can do. As for removing the branch, I'd like to, but my cloning skills aren't up to it, yet, I fear.
Sorry, Missed the link to the bigger version - looks great, very crisp and the colours are perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM
OK, what I've done is this:

I like Gary and goose's changes, but I wanted to keep the brooding look. I'll probably make another couple of versions incorporating the lightening and the pumped up colours at another point. For now, gloomy and oil-paint-esque it is. I did, however, add a curves layer with the sky masked out, and this has given the driveway area a bit more impact, I feel.

I cropped it to 10x8 aspect ratio approximately where Gary cropped it. I may set myself a calendar project later, for which a square crop would work well.

I've cloned out the cars. I think this is OK-ish, but I certainly need more practice. I didn't trust myself to clone out the foreground branch, so I darkened it slightly.

I haven't sharpened it (because I forgot), but I'll get round to that later.

Also, I think saving it as with no embedded profile, rather than embedding the AdobeRGB1998 profile (which I did before) has made the displayed colours look more like they do when I'm editing it. They're a bit deeper and richer.

Anyway, the original is here, and the new version (larger for Nancy's benefit) is here

Thanks to everyone who took the time to critique and, if I haven't followed all your advice, I still appreciate it and will try experimenting in those directions in future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Oooh! Love the brooding mood. I take it that the cottage and grounds are your focal point but I was attracted to that sky. The cottage seemed at odds with it. I tried to give the sky some more emphasis/drama without spoiling that delicious brooding quality of it. I masked all but the sky and after some fiddling, settled for a directional light effect to brighten some of the sky just a little. To me this seemed to add a sense of balance within the image without drastically changing anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlaenauFfestiniof-Apr2006-0.jpg (90.4 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Littlecoo: that's nice, really dramatic. I had left the sky, since I wasn't sure what to do with it, but now you've given me the idea, I'll have another play with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Beautiful landscape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blaenau-after.jpg (96.4 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, final version (for now) is here

I've tweaked the sky a bit and added a little sharpening. I also had to run a soften brush over the skyline to get rid of some excess contrast there.

Thanks for all the help - I've learned a lot from this session.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Nice Photo

That's a very nice photo. Was that the lighting? or there was more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountain.jpg (94.2 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Smile nice picture

Nice picture! I like its mood and the composition. I think that now you could start experiencing with some sharpening, contrast and colour experiments.

I downloaded your file from the link and did the following:

duplicate the entire layer into a new layer. de-saturate it (command+shift+u) and apply a high pass filter of 2. after the high pass is applied, press command+L and a levels dialog box will appear. move the left slider (shadows) and the right slider (highlights) toards each other until both are where the information of the picture starts (base of the black graphic). after that, put this layer in overlay blending mode and try the amount of transparency until you find a sharpen level you like (mine worked well at 30%).

after that, get your eye dropper tool and sample a tone of green that you find nice. with that sampled, create a solid colour layer on top of your sharpening and place it in colour blending mode. Again try the oppacity lever and find a tone that you find matches your picture.

As for contrasting, you can try and make a merged copy of the image (command+option+shift+e), de-saturate it and place it in overlay mode, again finding an oppacity amount that pleases you. Just mind the high light and shadow points of your image so they don't get too white or too dark.

Again, these are just some suggestions. Feel free to experiment with them, as for instance, instead of sampling green on the picture, try sampling brownish tones and find out what happens.

Hope to have been of some help, and again, nice work!

George Rutherford

ps: when I say command = ctrl and option = alt on pc
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2006, 09:22 AM
manta1900: thanks for the compliment. As I remember, the light was a bit flat (overcast with occasional rain), but I think I caught that picture as the sun appeared through some thinner cloud, which is why the house is quite bright. Most of the adjustments were made using RawShooter Premium to enhance the colour and contrast. The sky I did in Paint Shop Pro.

rutherford: thanks for the hints. I've come across a masked sharpening method (still trying to get it right ) on Ron Bigelow's site, but it's not quite the same as you've described. I'll play with the colour and contrast tips at some point (once I've translated them into PSP equivalents) - at the moment, I'm going into brain melt with all the techniques that I'm finding out about...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Nice shot.

With a curve, I set the white in the building to 244,244,244.

Then converted to LAB, did a curve on an adjustment layer, raising the mid highlights a hair on the L, and then applying steep slope straight lines on the A and B channels. This made the reds too severe, so I locked down the green side of the A curve, and reduced the slope on the red side to taste.

Applied USM to the L channel at 150, 1.1, 3 and converted back to sRGB.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlaenauFfestiniog-Apr2006-03(sm).jpg (90.3 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques