RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Continuing the quest to improve

Old 06-14-2006, 05:20 PM

Continuing the quest to improve

Having got some useful feedback from my last posting (thanks, Kraellin), I'd like to subject another image to the process.

This is one that I'm quite pleased with, but I'd value other opinions, especially how to improve the composition of the image. As I said before, I'm trying to take things a step at a time, and getting the composition right is, I feel, the most important step: you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as they say.

The attached image is quite small to get under the upload limit, so there's a bigger version here

The only processing I've done is to tweak it in RawShooter Premium and a slight crop to a different aspect ratio.

Go on, hit me - be brutal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlaenauFfestiniog-Apr2006-03(sm).jpg (80.5 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Bloodnok; 06-15-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Hi Bloodnok,

Overall the image is a bit dark, (could be that was the effect you were looking for), and the cars drew the eye away from the objects of interest.

So I tweaked levels a bit to brighten it up a little, cropped a little closer (to focus more on building), and cloned out the cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlaenauFfestiniog-Apr2006-03 copy.jpg (97.0 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 06:47 PM

Nice improvements Gary. I couldn't help but wonder what the image would look like with pumped up colors. A very different mood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (93.6 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 PM

I felt like the composition would work better as a square, or close to one. I also felt like it did need a bit more color, as well as some delineation of the trees...I added a layer of high pass at about 12 on hard light at 45%. The original is a bit dark, and in search of a focal point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlaenauFfestiniog-msc.jpg (75.6 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 PM

Bloodnok,

I'm going to agree with Gary as far as he went. I love the way the house jumps off the page, but there is too much else going on. That is, I am not sure what its a picture of. To me that usually means I should start cropping until I find a finely focused picture in there. Gary did just enough by cloning out the cars to tell me that's the way to go. Simplification through cropping (and cloning).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 AM

Goose 443, like the increased reds in your rendition, they make the hillsides pop. Not too sure about the grass in front of the house (possibly a touch too green for my taste), but that could be taken care of easily by a masked hue/sat layer, or by careful use of sponge tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks, folks - that's a lot for me to think about. It's interesting how just some simple tweaks can completely alter the mood of a picture. The effect I was going for was somewhat dark and brooding (it is in Wales, after all). Whilst adjusting levels in RSP, I basically hit the combination I posted and was immediately struck by a sort of "old master" feel. Not suggesting that it's up to Constable standards, but there was something about the quality of the browns and greys that kind of reminded me of an old oil painting.

Gary: I like removing the cars and the tighter cropping. I'll have to wait till I get home to judge the effect of lightening it (my work computer's screen hasn't been properly calibrated).

goose443: that tweak completely changes the mood to something brighter and more springlike. I like it, although, as I say, I was going for the brooding, Welsh mountains look.

mseydel: Square works - I'll try a few different aspect ratios, but I like that.

Sharpening is something I hadn't got round to - I've only just been reading up on its importance and the various ways of doing it, so that's the next stage after I improve the composition.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll do some more work on it when I get a bit of time and post the result here for further criticism.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 04:39 AM

I like it and I like the dark. I think you captured what you intended. If I were going to do anything to it - (first I'd make it bigger so we can see it properly ) I'd remove the tree branch/shoot from the foreground, its quite distracting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I like it and I like the dark. I think you captured what you intended. If I were going to do anything to it - (first I'd make it bigger so we can see it properly ) I'd remove the tree branch/shoot from the foreground, its quite distracting.
Well, there's a limit on what I can upload to photobucket, but I'll see what I can do. As for removing the branch, I'd like to, but my cloning skills aren't up to it, yet, I fear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Upload to imageshack...I think youy files can be up to 1mb.

http://imageshack.us/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques