RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Just started colourising..

Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 AM

Just started colourising..

Hi from a new member,

I've recently started colourising black and white images and i'd really like to get some real idea of where I can improve etc.

I did this picture in Photoshop using a few (68!!) adjustment layers. Any tips on improving would be greatly welcome.

http://vash.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Pics/colb4&after.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 06:06 AM

If you just started colorizing, you are doing very VERY well.
The only thing I would have done differently, would be to tone down the blue blouse of the lady on the left. I know it is just a matter of taste, but I found it "jumped up at me" a little to much specially if you compare it to the other colors.

But remember, in these matters, it is all a matter of taste.
So take my opinion for what it is: just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printmeister
Hi from a new member,

I've recently started colourising black and white images and i'd really like to get some real idea of where I can improve etc.

I did this picture in Photoshop using a few (68!!) adjustment layers. Any tips on improving would be greatly welcome.

http://vash.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Pics/colb4&after.jpg

Last edited by Frank Lopes; 06-16-2006 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes
The only thing I would have done differently, would be to tone down the blue blouse of the lady on the left. I know it is just a matter of taste, but I found it "jumped up at me me" a little to much specially if you compare it to the other colors.
Yes, thanks for that..it IS a little garish. At least with most things having their own curves adjustment layer, it will be easy to tone it down a touch.

All opinions are are useful..! Thanks.

PS that pic is my 3rd attempt at colourising.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 AM

That is just fabulous! That has got to be one of the best colourizations (is that a word?) that I have EVER seen.

My only tiny, tiny critique would be the buildings in the bg--especially above the woman on the right--might be better toned down a bit. They're in the background and to my eye they are just competing a bit for my attention on the foreground.

Nothing aside from that, though. When you wrote that you used 64 adjustment layers I really didn't believe it but I see what you did and it is really great. Keep it up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley guy
My only tiny, tiny critique would be the buildings in the bg--especially above the woman on the right--might be better toned down a bit. They're in the background and to my eye they are just competing a bit for my attention on the foreground.
Thanks, I probably rushed the background a little, to be honest!

I am thinking of maybe trying to do this as a service for people that want it done....but, the difficulty will start when I am provided with less than optimum prints!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 PM

Great job!

My only comment would be the lady in the burgundy coat and a bright green hat. Not very fashionable... LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM

Darn.... one more skill that I need to have: fashion sense :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Great job!
My only comment would be the lady in the burgundy coat and a bright green hat. Not very fashionable... LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Great job!

LOL.... I ran out of paint..!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 04:13 PM

I think this came out excellent for your first time. Actually, it's better than many who've been doing this for years.

Like some of the others mentioned, color choices (my nit is the color of the car) could be an area you might want to do a little research on. For older photos, try looking at vintage magazines or sewing patterns for clothing color combinations. One thing I see often is that people tend to want to make everything a different color without considering fashions trends of the time.

Also, think about adding color to enhance the overall image, not for the sake of having color. Particularly on your image, the women in the tan coat looks washed out, and I'm guessing it's due a bit to the skin tone, but also to the color of her coat. A different color coat would make her look better.

I like your attention to detail, although it starts to fade as you go into the background. It is tedious to do an image with a lot going on, but letting any part slip by can ruin the image coloring as a whole.

Regarding your method of colorizing....60 some layers is crazy. Think about using another technique (of course apply your detail skills). If you've selected sections, and put them on separate layers, there is an easier way. Consider that it is not necessary to make selections. If you've ever colored in a coloring book, think about painting color on a layer in that manner. I've done quite a bit of coloring myself, and you can do this with 4-6 layers (more layers does not equal expertise).

All said, you've done a fine job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 04:42 PM

I think you have done very well for your first colouration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques