RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Beauty Retouch Critic Needed

Old 06-19-2006, 12:59 AM

Beauty Retouch Critic Needed

Hello
I am new to retouching, and just recently within the past year have started to dig into the basics and am hoping by now I can be considered at the very least intermediate
I'm starting to build a portfolio and wanted to use the attached image, let me know your expert opinions so I can decide whether this is a good example to use or not.
I usually have a tendency to overdo it so I'm sort of expecting some comments along those lines, but nevertheless I am pretty happy with the end results.

had to post this via blogger because I wanted to show higher-res images, you can click on each one to see larger file.
http://curtisesmith.blogspot.com/200...foreafter.html

Thanks for your time

Cheers

-CESmith
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 03:21 AM

looks pretty good

just a few comments on the face stuff:

there are a few spots that are left over, one on the right cheek. Also that hot spot under her right eye. Try creating a new layer...selecting a color from her face and painting over that hot spot. Then lower the opacity of that layer, to blend it in.

other than that...looks pretty good
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESmith
Hello
I am new to retouching, and just recently within the past year have started to dig into the basics and am hoping by now I can be considered at the very least intermediate
I'm starting to build a portfolio and wanted to use the attached image, let me know your expert opinions so I can decide whether this is a good example to use or not.
I usually have a tendency to overdo it so I'm sort of expecting some comments along those lines, but nevertheless I am pretty happy with the end results.

had to post this via blogger because I wanted to show higher-res images, you can click on each one to see larger file.
http://curtisesmith.blogspot.com/200...foreafter.html

Thanks for your time

Cheers

-CESmith
The problem with your version is that you've lost the shape in the face. You might want to eliminate hot-spots as a matter of procedure, but keep in mind, the reason they're hot in the first place is that they present a contour that picks up the light. Those contours are missing.

In this sample, your finished version is on the left, my addition is on the right. I made a straightforward contrast move to bring back some shape to the face, and, in so doing, revealed a few problems yet to address. It may just be that the image is fairly small, but the right side contains some really harsh transitions, and there's a light line running along the cheek on the left side of the image as well. All easily blended with the healing brush. It's worth the extra steps to get a more desirable level of detail and contrast.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/contrast.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Edge, I agree with your more contrasty version if the end result is to be used in (magazine) print, since printing photos tends to soften them.
As a 'plain' photo (print), though, imho your version has lost that subtle dreamy quality present in CESmith's 'after'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokcetScientist
Edge, I agree with your more contrasty version if the end result is to be used in (magazine) print, since printing photos tends to soften them.
As a 'plain' photo (print), though, imho your version has lost that subtle dreamy quality present in CESmith's 'after'.
We may be talking about two different things. Note the original before/after set. The entire broad curve from ear to chin along the right side of the image is, frankly, much more interesting in the original. The skin texture has become a bit smoother, true, but the shadows and highlights have both pulled towards each other. There's much less sense of the actual shape of her face. Likewise around her nose and mouth. The original is a better image, despite the blemishes, all of which could easily be removed without damaging the contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it. I love this site.
Edge - I went back and fixed the contrast, check the link below and see if you think it is better. I think it now looks less "powdery" than before.
I also went back and added a layer from original image of models left bottom cheek and reduced opacity to bring back some of the original texture.

hope you guys like it!

http://curtisesmith.blogspot.com/

-Curtis
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Hi Curtis,

I think your retouch is good, though it still looks a bit soft.
YOu might want to whiten the teeth a little, she has really nice teeth, a waste if left with tartar.. =)

Other than taht, its good.

Stan
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2006, 11:36 AM

I do photo restoration as a hobby and have not done any retouching. As several have mentioned, the finished version look "flat". I was inspired by a comment Flora made about "depth" in one of hew tutorial so decided to play with your photo. Left side - Your original, Right side - my version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 232854%282%29a.1.jpg (95.2 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques