RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Color correcting

Old 06-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Color correcting

I basically color corrected the whole image, made her skin darker and the sheets around her whiter. I liquified her thigh and cleaned up her make-up.

My main consern was the skine tone and color of the over all image. I'm interested in what everyone thinks over all and how I can improve!

Before picture

After
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 11:34 PM

Carmilla, I think the skin tone is lovely. My only concern would be the 0,0,0 in some of her hair and boots. If you were able to bring it up to say 12,12,12 you might see a bit more information. Otherwise, great job. Also, some here might like to know your methodology.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 AM

I also think you have done an excellent job on the skin tones and on the general color correction. My only concern is that there seems to be a yellow-greenish halo around the girl. This is particularly noticable around her right boot and right chest. There is also some around her hair. I had a quick go at it from scratch to see if I could arrive at your point without the greenish-yellow halo.
Sincerely Syd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colour-Corrected.jpg (100.0 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 AM

I tried for more neutral colour in the shadows and to retain more detail in the hair etc. I also changed the skin tone, but that is a matter of personal preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoescaptainb489tp-06srj.jpg (98.1 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2006, 01:30 AM

overall good

Overall I think it is much better. You have lost most shadow detail though and the sheets have a funky flat pinkish cast to them. Just work on a few details and I think you would be good to go. Also there are some green casted halos around the edges and in the shadows of the sheets. Check my edits and see if you agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoescaptainnew8zw.jpg (81.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg shoescaptainnew8zw_2.jpg (72.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 PM

i think mchawkes has the right of it here. i'll just add a couple things. one, i think the crop is wrong. in both my attachments i've re-cropped and to me, it says a lot more than the originals. the other thing is that sometimes you dont have to eliminate or correct an effect; you can also enhance it. this second point is, of course, optional and dependent on preferences.

also, i borrowed mchawkes' post for one of my attachments. great job there. but because of the embedded profile he used and because psp doesnt want to use that, it changed it to sRGB and that may make my colors off a bit. so, ignore that part of it. i'm just showing the crop change i made to his version and not any attempts to change colors or shades.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl-on-bed-1-k-1.jpg (90.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg girl-on-bed-2-k-1.jpg (94.9 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2006, 03:13 PM

oh yeah

Yeah.. I forgot about the profile thing when posting to the web. Ill take care of that next time.

Also I was actually going to add that if your going for a highly stylized or mood effect in the shot then what I was saying wouldent really apply. My advice is based on going for an accurate rendition and correcting out all casting.

Nice idea about taking a cast and artistically emphasizing for mood. its always fun to play with.

Last edited by mchawkes; 06-21-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques