RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

PLEASE CRITIQUE: Contest Photo

View Poll Results: You should post this as an example of your Professional Colorization work!
I agree. 0 0%
Good enough till you get something better. 1 10.00%
Nice Try! You'll get there someday. 7 70.00%
Don't quit your day job. 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM

Unhappy PLEASE CRITIQUE: Contest Photo

Sometimes life gets in the way!

I really wanted to get this into this month's contest and hoped I'd be awarded just one vote. (That's my current goal! Lol) This is a tough place for beginners.

My very first colorization. I had no idea what I was doing so it required a lot of experimentation and redos. In case you're bored, I hid a couple treasures in it. Please be tough. Sometimes its hard to tell how the critique feels overall, so give me a grade if you want. I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for your continued support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluedog5.jpg (99.9 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM

the main reason I chose nice try is the faces. They don't fit the rest of the picture at all, did you do anything to them? But otherwise it is looking good
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks Aylaah, yes I did do the faces but I was being perhaps overly cautious. I did use some basic face tones that I think you will see if you look again. I did eyewhites and cornia, haircolor. I actually used a little rouge on the womans' cheeks but I see its not showing at all.

I really don't know what the make-up practices were in the 1870's US so I didn't want to over do it.

I'm leaning towards 'enhancing' the faces a little more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Patron

It really has that posterized, old style illustration book feel to me... I quite like that effect (how did you achieve that out of curiosity?). But, that said, it looks to me more like an illustration or photo manip than a restored, colourized photo now. Still I see that you put alot of attention into this and in itself it does look good...especially for a first try
Oh BTW, in those days no 'respectable' lady would wear anything more than a dusting of face powder insofar as makeup is concerned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 AM

Hi bluedog.

Sorry you missed the deadline after putting in so much work on this.

Overall, your restoration and photo quality are very good.

The colorization is almost there, but could be a little more even especially on the skin tones. According to my monitor, some of the people have natural looking skin tones, e.g., the first usher, girl in yellow, and older man and woman. To me the others look too desaturated, especially the bride and groom.

One more picky fine point, some of the palm leaves and background leaves look a little too jagged, you might want to feather your selections on them when adding color.

Why are the groom and bridesmaid in yellow wearing sneakers?

Hope this helps.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine; 06-29-2006 at 04:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 05:18 AM

Hi bluedog,

The first thing that I noticed are the faces/hair. The shadows and highlights seemed to be lacking, the reason it looked flat and looked like an illustration. You might also need to vary the coloring on the faces.

I am not sure if this is brought about by the colorization or restoration but the subjects are more blurry/faded than the background. You might want to reverse that.

Not bad for first time colorization.

Thanks for the info Littlecoo regarding makeup in those days. I didn't do research on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 AM

Talking Thank you for taking the time!

Littlecoo, Lorraine, Solea...... Thank you so much for taking the time to critique this for me. I was really sad about not getting into the contest this month. Oh well, I had a job AND a computer failure all in the same week!

I attempted to vary the colorization of the faces. Some, like the bride, groom, and lady in tellow are meant to the very fair. The 1st usher and 'mother' are meant to have dark complexions. The lady in green and usher at center rear are supposed to have fair-blonde complexions. Lady in Pink and the stage-left rear usher are meant to be fair-redhead complexions. Finally the 'father' is supposed to look old and ruddy. (I thought that came off well) I chose the hair color appropriately. As I said before, I think that I was being too conservative because my first attempts looked like comic book characters. Should I have added some rosiness to the cheeks at this scale??

I think this answers the solarization question and jagged edges. This, I think, was a bad idea and was far too time consuming. In an attempt to achieve a more natural look in all the green foliage, I posterized it all to about 4 levels so that I could use color select and color replace to apply 4 different degrees of 'green'. (IS this a known and valid technique??) It did not work out well for me, perhaps I only needed to feather the layers and it would have worked out better. I still ended up with more than 4 selections as some areas insisted on being a 'blend' of posterization levels. Suggestions??

I must need a lot of help with techique. Someone said it took them 2 1/2 hours to do this. I must have put in 40 hours including two complete restarts! Katrin's book doesn't really cover colorization. Any suggestions??

The yellow maid is wearing those high-top leather lace-up shoes of the day (in white). I don't get the comment about the groom wearing sneakers.

Is it too obvious to mention or did everyone miss it? The girl in pink is the villan. She is holding a silver revolver and her neck coaker looks alot like a priest's. I wanted to use the 'Lady in Red' theme but pink was as close as I dare get. Then, did the contestants pick up on this?, the Bride is wearing a gold chain around her waist that hangs down in the front, perhaps holding a long sash of satin. The visual suggestion of a symbolic chastity belt was almost more than I could bear! Did they do that?? Knowing something about the Victorian era I would not be at all surprised! Combine that with the villaness Lady in Pink and you have to question the bride's purity. That could explain her expression! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 AM

blue dog,

Regarding colorization, have you tried painting on color blend or overlay mode layers? To me, it's the easiest way to do it most of the job.

Just pick more vibrant colors than you want the final to look. Paint on the color blend or overlay mode layers and lower the opacities until the colors look natural. If any colors aren't quite right to your eyes, you can use hue/saturation/colorize to adjust them. I find this works very well for skin and hair. And you can add multiple shades on one layer.

My entry took me way over 2 1/2 hours -- more like 2 1/2 days.

Now I understand the bridesmaid's shoe. I thought she was wearing pumps, but I don't know if they wore them back when the photo was taken. I, do, however think the groom is wearing boots.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Patron

Blue dog, I have found this colourization method very useful for larger areas to be similarly coloured (such as the palms) Tutorial here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques