Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Black & White

Old 07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I remendered a technique I used a few weeks ago when a client said the restored version looked "too new". I blended my final version with the original. Put the original on the bottom layer with the restored version on a layer about it. Blending mode to normal. Opacity to 65-70%. Yields a very natural looking photo. Client loved it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Restored blended.jpg (88.1 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I understand what you all are saying. Some of the damage in the image was so great that I really didn't see any alternative in the methods I used. I agree that I should not have used those same methods across the entire image however to get rid of even the slightest bit of noise which is what I did.

If you look at the fingers of the mother in the original or the forearm of the baby you will see what I am talking about. It is also located in the chin of the mother. In my opinion this has to be totally eliminated. By bringing it back a little bit from the original, I'm just bringing back something that should not be there. This is different than standard noise though.

The noise of this image isn't actually noise as much as it is a pattern from the original print which makes it especially difficult to get rid of by normal noise reduction methods that I am aware of. I know some of the methods used to get rid of this in the scanning of the image but have not used them.

This image is actually of my mother, uncle, and Gma so it is not for a client. I am just using it as practice. I did use the shadow/highlight to get some of that detail back in the shoes and baby's dress and that worked alright.

I don't think I will redo this one for now as I am pretty happy with it despite it's imperfections but it is good to hear from all of you so that I may use your advice in the future on other images or if I decide to redo this one at a later date. I think it looks better because of what all of you recommended and that I did improve with my own odd methods.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques