Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Glass Reconstruction - Critique Time !

Old 07-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Glass Reconstruction - Critique Time !

Ok. First off, before I get the "why did you not continue the thread you already had going" speach from Craig,

That one was for advice and guidence on how to fix stuff, THIS ONE is for the critique of what I have done to it.

The one thing that really still grabs my eye (mostly when zoomed out) is the lighting on the baby. I really need to find a good few tutorials on how light effects the face, so if anyone has any links for them or good books that really focus on it I would appreciate the info.

As usual, be brutal, no holds barred with your critiques.

Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

Here is the link for the large version. The one I uploaded here does not give you a chance to see the etails. LARGE VERSION

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.3 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM
hehehe, pre-empting my complaints about continuity, eh? it's fine. i understand this one

ok, here's my critique. this is based on what the client has brought you and what can be reasonably expected as a result. since the client brought you a picture stuck to glass and since i'm assuming there was no 'reasonable' way to separate the picture from the glass, you did fine. in fact, you did good. if i were the client i would be very pleased with the result. you brought out a lot of detail and 'did no damage', which shld be the motto of all restorers. you re-worked the upper chest area of her clothing to a good result which had to be one of the hardest areas. it does look a bit artificial in places, the lace on her neck and those black, cloth 'button' things, but it's quite acceptable given the damage that was there. i also like that you brought out the detail in the baby's dress, a lot more than was evident in the original.

now some may criticize that you didnt do more on the whites of the baby's dress, but i would disagree there. a 'restore' is just that, restore what's there. those whites were a lot of them already blown out in the original. so you lose no points there either. that you might want to add some detail in that area would be something you'd discuss with the client and go with what they want. but as a restorer, you only need to bring out and repair what is already there and you've done that nicely. you might want to check out the contest a few months back that had 3 children as the picture. it was an older black and white like this one and had a lot of damage and blown out whites on at least one of the dresses. you could see what others did there.

the contrasting was a bit steep around the heads. i'd have lightened that background shadowing just a bit more than you did and not have shadowed the baby's head as much, but that's somewhat a preferences thing and therefore you lose no real points on that one.

my biggest concern with this image was the glass. it adds just a bit of 'something' that makes the overall original not quite right, especially on her clothing. it looks like it was under glass and has tinted things a bit blue and smudgy. you did a great job in lessening that effect, but i just cant help wondering what it would have been like if the glass could be removed from the image. so, ok, that wasnt going to happen and this is more of a 'what if' rather than part of the critique.

on the critique, if i were a teacher grading the work i'd give it an A. very well done!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Did some revisions on it...

Ok. I did some revisions on this after getting feedback from the client. My mother! heh. The comments on it were along the same lines you had. Wanted a softer, less contrasty feel.

So here are two new ones. Let me know which you like best, and what else you think needs work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg revised.jpg (93.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Fazools; 08-01-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques