RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

First Whole Head Replacement

Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM

First Whole Head Replacement

Not much explaining to do here. All of the pictures of the little girl with her father were screwed up in some way - mostly she was blurred so I guess she was a squirmer.

Overall, cleaned up with PDSR. I dup'd a multiply layer and painted in the subject areas. Darkened away some interior details. Added an overlay layer to darken the corners and edges.

I cropped it considerably but kept the 2:3 aspect ratio of the original 116 negative and applied a little phi offset to the framing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp16315-sm.jpg (98.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg ornb16315-sm.jpg (96.8 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by blue dog; 08-09-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM

Good job, Blue.

BTW, I attempted to answer your private message, but don't know if it went through or not. I've had some problems with the RTP server of late.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 AM

I don't know the terms "PDSR" or "phi", but you finished result tones look good. It looks fairly distorted compared to the original. Is that okay? Seems like it might alter the gentleman's appearance.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Patron

On the whole you've done good job with this image Blue, on closer scrutiny (actually it was more prominent when I stood back from my monitor) something about the toddler's chin and neck area seemed a little inconsistent to me...possibly the shadows/highlights in that area need some more tweaking. Hard to tell exactly from the posted image and all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 02:58 AM

Hi blue,

The replaced girls head is too far over to the left on her neck. You have placed her head in the same position as in the original, however the new head is more face on to the camera, and therefore you would not see so much neck.

just needs a slight nudge to the right to give a more natural look.

I presume you haven't got another picture with her arm still.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 PM

a collection of answers

Bart: I don't see the distortion. If you meant his right cheek, it is untouched from the original. PDSR - Polariod Dust and Scratch Remover. PHI - boy this could start something - a derived ratio from as far back as Solomons Temple and early masonic archecture, many early works of art, all things in nature, and mysticism. The church, M.Angelo, etc embraced it and called it the Devine Ratio, aka Golden ratio.....led to the roughly translated Rule of Thirds. Hence, "A little phi" might mean I pushed it off center.

Gary: I have plenty of baby pics and might find an arm somewhere. Do you think that it should be definitely changed? I guess if I'm perfecting it then Why Not?

Also, the interesting thing about the baby's head position is that I cut it out including the neck and upper area of the smock (since it was the same outfit) and then used the neckline to position it. I really struggled over the head placement and am listening/thinking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 03:39 PM

Hi Blue,

Interesting to hear that you pasted the head and neck/smock into place. Seems the little girl must hold her head somewhat oddly, because it does not quite look natural (but obviously is for her).

As for the arm, provided you can get a good match it will at least remove the blur, which does draw the eye away from the focus of the picture (at least it does for me).

Difficulty will of course be to get the exposure/texture right, due to father's hand being in close proximity, any inconsistencies will show up.

I hope you post back here, should you decide to go with the arm swap, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Patron

Ah, okay so the inconsistency I'm noticing there may be just the shifts in natural light conditions from one shot to the next
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Bart: I don't see the distortion. If you meant his right cheek, it is untouched from the original.
I attached a before/after of the man. With aspect ratio locked, I resized the "before" version so his eyes have identical spacing as the "after" version. Notice that in the after version he's been compressed vertically.

Quote:
PDSR - Polariod Dust and Scratch Remover. PHI - boy this could start something - a derived ratio from as far back as Solomons Temple and early masonic archecture, many early works of art, all things in nature, and mysticism. The church, M.Angelo, etc embraced it and called it the Devine Ratio, aka Golden ratio.....led to the roughly translated Rule of Thirds. Hence, "A little phi" might mean I pushed it off center.
Ah yes, I knew I'd heard PDSR somewhere before. Thanks for the phi explanation.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distort.jpg (84.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2006, 04:39 AM

I replaced only the eyes of the original with the eyes from the "replacement" head. I think the head and direction she in looking is much more natural in the original photo. However, if you're practicing head replacement, that's a different matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ornb16315-sm.jpg (97.0 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques