RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

reflection

Old 08-22-2006, 03:04 AM

reflection

i am working on this picture of my daughter and am stuck on the reflection -- is it believable?

marsha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1nic.jpg (98.8 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeovermagic
i am working on this picture of my daughter and am stuck on the reflection -- is it believable?

marsha
Honestly, no. There seems to be a window a few feet away behind the girl. There is no way you can have a reflection in any shape or form from that angle. This will make any attempts to create a reflection look fake. First of all, with such a distance the reflection should be MUCH smaller. Second, with this angle, the reflection will NOT be simmetrical to her face, it will reflect the girl's head side and more of the back of her head then the face. How it could be real? The only thing you can do is something "artistic" but it is a different subject.

I can't see a point in doing it though, it would be better to make another photograph with the proper reflection. It doen't look like a once-in-a-lifetime-oppotunity photo that you have to rescue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 06:32 AM

Marsha,

I have to go with KVK on this one. I think part of the problem is that there's no clue as to the distance between the face and the window or whatever, I am not really sure it is a window. Now, if it was a mirror and she was literally just a few inches from it, your reflection would be right on. AS KVK pointed out, the size of the reflection will decrease as the distance increases

I don't know if you intended it, but your daughter is a doll, both literally and figuratively. She is so perfect. I could not ignore her eyebrows as they are too perfect, i.e. painted on.

Give us an idea of what you are trying to accomplish when you post something and then we'll be able to stick to your subject better.

Brad
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 AM

i agree with kvk and blue dog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Is it believable? No.

Do I like it? Yes - in an "artistic" way. I kind of like the way it suggests someone (possibly the subject herself) looking out, but mostly hidden. I dunno, I'm no good at expressing the reason things appeal to me, but for me there's something there, maybe just not what you intended.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2006, 02:16 PM

bloodnok -- thank you very much -- i'm not sure what it was intended to be, but i also like it in an "artsy" kind of way -- it is a window, and something about the drama of the look appealed to me.

i also attempted to make it more mirror-like in another version without much success.

marsha

p.s. blue dog, thanks for your kind words; her eyebrows, however, are all real -- i couldn't fake them that perfectly - lol.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques