RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

ReWritable - Sentimentai (video from Lithuania)

Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM

Exclamation ReWritable - Sentimentai (video from Lithuania)

I would like to share some photos with you. I put them all into one video. All of these pictures are made by me, in Lithuania, during this summer. Enjoy, and express your opinion Choose the way you would like to watch it:

download 640 x 480 (sendspace)

@ youtube: http://giga.bitas.lt/sentimentai_youtube.htm
@ google: http://giga.bitas.lt/sentimentai_google.htm

Last edited by rewritable; 09-05-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Patron

You have some beautiful images there! Do you have any plans for any of them? A web gallery or such would be better... the low res and compression artifacts in the slideshow/s just kills them which is a shame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2006, 12:09 AM

rewritable, welcome to RP.

and thank you for that show. lovely music for some nice pictures. very enjoyable

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2006, 03:30 AM

Wink

Thanks I know that giving the link to compressed video in youtube is not the best solution.. I have this video in high quality (640 x 480) but the problem is that during last month my hosting bandwidth (or trafic? never mind, I think you understand) was way too big, because lots of people wanted to download this stuff so I do not allow to download that video any more. But I will put it in sendspace.com soon an place link here

Last edited by rewritable; 09-01-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 04:26 AM

Here it is:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z6vnry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM

rewritable, thank you. i've downloaded it and saved it and put it on my windows media player favorites list. again, very nice slide show

what program did you use to make it?

and since you put this in the critique forum, i'll make a couple of suggestions here on improving or enhancing your photos. you have a few photos where the sky is pretty white or where the white is overly bright through trees. sometimes that's fine, like in the one where it is a bright glare through the trees. but a LOT of 255, 255, 255 white can detract from an image. you can either tone this down with curves or levels or change it completely. in the case of at least one sky image with a lot of white sky, it might make a better picture with some blue painted in there. just break it up a bit where a lot of white is showing.

another way to enhance images is with an adjustment layer of brightness/contrast. just step up the contrast a bit and the image will 'pop' more. hue/saturation can do similar enhancings, along with usm sharpenings. you often dont need much of any of these and because you're doing them with adjustment layers, it's easy to simply tone them down again if it's too much.

this is in no way meant to be an invalidation of a very nice video. it's just a way that in the future you can 'catch the eye' a bit more if desired

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks again

The program I used was simple windows movie maker

Thanks for your suggestions, but all the pictures in this video are natural, just as they have been taken, I did not edit any of them. That was the idea, to make something totally natural.

I know about all that brightening stuff, as I work a bit with Photoshop. For example: the last picture I made (my website background). At first, it looked quite bad, but I put some blur + adjusted colours to make it retro style (b&w). And I was satisfied with the result

The thing I want to say is that you simply need to think if you really need to use any of the efects every time you do something

And thanks again for good words, I appreciate it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 01:52 PM

rewritable,

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, but all the pictures in this video are natural, just as they have been taken, I did not edit any of them. That was the idea, to make something totally natural.
Quote:
The thing I want to say is that you simply need to think if you really need to use any of the efects every time you do something
take one photo, one with sky across the top of it and a bit of landscape across the bottom. the sky is somewhat blase' the day you shoot it, being all the same white and almost all the same hue, with no clouds and nothing else. now, come back during the morning with the sun coming up and clouds in the sky and you've got bright reds and yellows and some blues, or you shoot it near nightfall and get other interesting effects. or, you come another day when it's overcast, with lots of clouds and maybe raining a bit. then, you come back in the winter when it's snowing big, white, fluffy flakes of snow and big, bulbous white and gray clouds. these would all be 'natural' shots if you took a photo at each time.

so, why would it not be ok to alter a given pic with a bit of cloud or some other color or effect if the look could be done to simulate 'natural'? you see what i mean here?

i wasnt suggesting you alter it to make it look 'unnatural'. only that you could make it look a bit more as if you'd caught the shot on a day when there was something more of interest or of 'pop' going on.

that you wanted the exact look you have is fine. but then why post it in the critque section if you were already completely happy with it?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
but then why post it in the critque section if you were already completely happy with it?
I wasn't it's always interesting to see what other people think of your work

And where else should I post it if not in critique?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques