Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

I think I have soft skin problems.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I think I have soft skin problems.

First thinks for taking the time to read my thread.

I think I have soft skin problems or something, or maybe my softskin is over done. If you could take a look and let me know what you think.. original and is the PSed version. original is PSed.

You're most welcome to play with the original if you have some ideas, but I'd like to know how whatever is done, is one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Re: I think I have soft skin problems.

hi neom, and welcome to RP.

i didnt have any problems with the skin, other than on the 2nd pair you blurred a bit on the face and that was distracting.

you want to be very careful with body reductions and expansions, especially on the face/head. a very tiny bit goes a very long way there. and besides, i dont think the model really needs it. it's mostly nicely done on both sets but watch your lines as you go. i noticed some wavy skin edges here and there. and if you're going to pull the face in, try to pull just barely what's needed. in both cases you pulled too much and it affected the mouth and that lovely smile and changed the character of the person. that's what you mostly want to avoid. it has to look like the same person.

we see this a fair amount on folks that want to 'lose a few pounds' or want to remove a double chin or some baby fat in the jaw or chin. so, you want to keep the person but lose the pounds and that's the trick.

also, in pulling in the arm size like you did and a bit around the hips, you didnt pull in the waist. that loses some of the natural body curve and that's a bit of a no-no also. keep the curve, but lose the weight.

i also noticed a tiny bit of breast reduction. to me, this wasnt necessary. the proportions there seem fine. and, if you're going to reduce one, then you have to reduce both. the 2nd set you reduced the left but not the right so the proportions are off there.

so, all in all it was a nice job but keep the proportions and dont change the character of the person....unless yer just doin it for fun

i also didnt much care for the orange eye shadow, but that's just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2006, 03:54 PM

ok, i did have a play with this.

i ran a high pass sharpen first to put more detail in the face.

i cleaned up the skin just a bit with a light clone and removed a few errant hairs on the forehead. i left the mole, as that's a normal feature of this face.

i drew the right, upper arm in just a tad and brought the waist in just a bit also. i removed some of the wrinkles in the clothing and brought the area just below her chin up a tiny bit.

i also changed the eye shadow to more match with the lip color.

i re-lit the entire thing to focus on the face and upper chest and then added a fill layer of red below the main image and used 'hard light' as the blend mode to bring in the red and then erased part of the red in the face and arms and hair. i purposely left some of the red in, even in the highlighted areas, as i just sort of liked the look.

it really didnt need a lot of retouching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JP22-1-k-1.jpg (93.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg JP22-2-k-1.jpg (95.4 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2006, 07:55 AM

I used the liquifier, to reshape her arms and waist. Then I used the transform tool and pushed her body in a little too. I did a quick skin smoothing and did a used the blend tool to smooth her hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neom.jpg (48.4 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 AM

I love body manipulation so I thought I'd have a go. I used the liquifier to reshape her body. Then used the healing brush to remove her birth marks and little skinflaws. Also removed the little creases under her eyes and reshaped the eyebrow. Final thing was duplicating the layer, desaturating the duped layer, setting the blend mode to vivid light and opacity to 20%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (56.6 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques