RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Please critique this colorization

Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 AM

Please critique this colorization

OK. I'm still trying to nail down this techique so tell me what you think. Please ignore a couple clean-up items, I'm really interested in the colorization of the girl. I may have a monitor calibration issue. She looks great on my display but the printed photos are sallow. The backdrop behind her should be clearly Mauve, Not Tan.

The eyes are supposed to be Hazel but they look brown to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hp1004b.jpg (97.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg web-1004b-sm.jpg (90.7 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by blue dog; 10-27-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 03:46 PM

Re: Please critique this colorization

hi
Did you desaturate the photo before you colored it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg little-girl.jpg (95.7 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 04:12 PM

Yes. I did desaturate before I colorized it.

Yes. I did desaturate before I colorized.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 PM

How does the one I did look on your screen? I didn't print it out, but I use 2 monitors and the color looks differrent on both. And the one you did is definaitley tanish on one of them too.

You said when you print it out, it comes out shallow. Try adding some black Image/Adjustment/Select color/black +10.

If my background looks better to you I used a Adjustment Layer/Hue Saturation with the colorize box checked and Hue +331, Saturation +26, Lightness -12.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Red face Yours looks better

Hi Cathy,

I would call your background purple whereas mine is mauve. My prints look sallow by comparison to my monitor, meaning too yellow or too yellow-green. Maybe sallow isn't a good technical term, maybe its made up?

Anyway, your treatment is better than mine on a couple counts. Yours looks more natural and that's what I was trying to achieve. Its is lighter, more delicate: like a baby. This person has a dark but not olive complexion. However, my mother says that she (her sister) just tans incredibly well and has dark hair. Mine also has a distinct magenta cast that is most apparent in her arms.

I am wondering, particularly with regard to her legs, if I should have lightened them up. I wonder if I have a tendency to print too dark. A lot of stuff that I think is great on the monitor looks too dark and heavy when I hang it on the wall. Should I be using a densiometer to get a calibration on myself? i.e. gain control of my tendencies? Anybody know how to incorporate densiometer measurement into a process?

I would really appreciate some other inputs. This is probably a bit of a subjective issue and I'd like to hear other opinions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyH
How does the one I did look on your screen? I didn't print it out, but I use 2 monitors and the color looks differrent on both. And the one you did is definaitley tanish on one of them too.

You said when you print it out, it comes out shallow. Try adding some black Image/Adjustment/Select color/black +10.

If my background looks better to you I used a Adjustment Layer/Hue Saturation with the colorize box checked and Hue +331, Saturation +26, Lightness -12..

I'm not sure what this proves. I set the background to your HSL specs and the result on my monitor is TAN, not mauve and not purple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 09:48 AM

I'm hesitant to comment on the coloring as I think you have monitor calibration problems. The colorized version does have a yellow or "sallow" cast. The "mauve" looks more like salmon. You're seeing it on your prints, so perhaps can we surmise your printer is printing as it should. You might also have some problems with your contrast/brightness which will cause you to over adjust during scanning, and/or, post scanning. I'm guessing this by the dark areas around the bench. Whenever I'm working on images, I try my best to have the room as dark as possible. I even have black out blinds on my windows. Try it, you'll be able to see and work much better, especially the shadow areas in an image.

Calibration issues aside, here are my thoughts (hopefully not too brutal):
What is the basis for your color choices? Overall I'm only seeing a couple of colors : gold, green, and red. A muddy red being the dominant color (the bench especially.) Just my personal preference, but I don't find the colors to be very complimentary to the image as a whole. For example, the background is so similar to the flesh color, I imagine the bench would be a color one would see in wood, the gold drapes almost have a metallic look, and background seems too strong.
It looks like you've put work into color detail on the girl's face and dress, but nowhere else. All of the other items in the image have a "dyed" look (as if the areas were selected and filled with a color). The colors in her face could use a bit of blending for a smoother transition between shifts in colors.

I won't go into the actual image adjustments other than to say, I have the feeling there may be a scanning issue. I'd like to see the "before" image scanned with no adjustments by the scanning software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
I'm not sure what this proves. I set the background to your HSL specs and the result on my monitor is TAN, not mauve and not purple.
If it is different, I think then it says you have a calibration problem.
I'm no exprert at any of this, I was just trying to help you figure out what was happening.

With the difference with the legs compared to the face, I would then color them on different layers, so you can make one darker and one lighter.

I usually add a adjustment/curves to lighten up my photos before I print them to help prevent that darken you get from what is called dot gain, which is the ink bleeding on the paper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Mia Culpa on the color choices for sure.

Cathy and Vikki, Thanks for taking the time. The original "before " picture is on the initial post. It was scanned in color. What ever was done in terms of "processing" was me and not the scanner. I used the color balance to adjust some scans for a better continuim of mid-range tones. That's probably why the original has a redish cast.

As far as the color choices go, the bench is Mahogany, it lasted into my childhood anyway. The drapes have been described as gold with a very high sheen. The woodwork is/was that awful, dense brown/red that they tended to paint woodwork in the 1920-1930's. The floor is in reality natural dirt - my grandfather installed a wood floor after WWII. (PS I personally remember taking winter baths in a hand-filled tub behind the coal stove in this room AND I remember when my grandfather installed in-door plumbing. Being that there were 11 of us living in a 3 bedroom, single bath house he kept the outhouse going until the late 50's "just in case". BTW 7 of the 11 were female.

This is my second attempt with this technique. I now feel that what I started with was too dark and too contrasty: as I said I may have a tendency in that direction. For instance the edges and shadows on the legs are quite hard. I looked at the original channels. If I went with just the red or green I would have started with a better picture. The blue channel is very dense and contrasty.

For grins, here are all for sisters about 5 years later, probably 1945. Same room, same wall paper. My mother is the oldest: the one with that great 40's hairdo! THIS girl is the dark complected one. The one that was always teased about being left by the "milk man".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web-1002-sm.jpg (91.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2006, 08:30 PM

Hi blue dog
that is a very interestng story, I love history. The girl with the dark complection is lucky, I bet she was out side a lot too. I have twin girls that have that same complection, they tan into little indians.

I took the liberty to colorize your group shot.
I hope the colors are near to what they should be.

Keep up the good work.
cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sisters.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques