RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Please Critique My Latest Colorization

Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Arrow Please Critique My Latest Colorization

Ok. Monitor IS calbrated.

Here is my latest attempt at colorizing. I needed to work on a different picture rather than doing the "girl on bench" photo for the twelft time! Last time Vikki felt I was too random in choosing colors. This time the dark green dress-wall paper-bench are all derivatives of each other. Also the blue dresses and purple dress are derivatives. Looks much more homgeneous?

Just to make sure you understand the complications of these complexions: Red-Head truly is, never tans only freckles; twins are darker complected with mousey brown hair as adults; middle girl has almost black hair as an adult and gets a tan just from using her monitor.

Do you buy the eyecolor? Red-head: Blue-Brown "Hazel", middle girl is Blue-Green "hazel", and the twins are simply Brown.

OK Let me have it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-1002-sm.jpg (93.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg web-1002b-sm.jpg (95.7 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Re: Please Critique My Latest Colorization

Can you tell us what method you are using to apply the color?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM

hi blue dog,

very nice, overall. worthy of printing.

being VERY picky, the red head's hair looks a bit colorized. i'm not even sure what you'd do there, but it just looks a bit off to me... too coppery? too saturated? not even sure i can pin-point it here. but it looks a bit unnatural.

love most of the skin tones. the eyes look fine. the dresses look very good.

the only other thing that bugs me a touch is the 3 pairs of exposed legs. but bear in mind i'm being very picky here. the color/shadowing looks a bit splotchy or mottled. i know the original shows a bit of this also, so it's not all your colorizing that is doing this. but the application of 'paint' here looks a bit uneven and off-color in places.

also bear in mind that my eye is better than my hand, so i'm not sure i could do any better so again, overall, it's pretty darn good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Can you tell us what method you are using to apply the color?
Vikki,

I am not sure what you are looking for. I am using Photoshop CS2. The skin and hair colors where done using primary colorization, i.e. with blue, red, and gold layers and painting on the mask. (see Worth for tutorial).

The clothing, wallpaper and bench were done by selecting the area and creating a new solid color layer (using the color blend mode) which automatically creates a mask layer.

For the Irises I made up a technique that seems to work fairly well (you be the judge). The irises were copied and pasted over the colorized subject where I used the paint- on-mask method on a solid color layer using the color blending mode. For color selections for the irises I used public domain photos http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...or&id=86441554 obtained from Wikipedia as a reference . I used 5 steps to create the colored irises: (1) measured and applied a base color to the whole iris, (2) measured the ring of color around the iris and hand-painted one on a new layer, and (3) measured the predominate highlight color which I applied by hand to fill light areas, if available, or randomly in a star pattern if not. (4) Finally, I added a touch of the base complimentary color to the glint. (5) blended to taste. So, for the middle girls hazel , in this case meaning a blue/green kind of hazel the colors used were olive green (base), light blue (ring), gold-bronze (highlights) and, by accident I seem to have forgotten to color the glint.

If anyone knows of a better method to do a realistic colorization of Irises, I would love the here it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hazel-small.jpg (92.2 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
]the only other thing that bugs me a touch is the 3 pairs of exposed legs. but bear in mind i'm being very picky here. the color/shadowing looks a bit splotchy or mottled. i know the original shows a bit of this also, so it's not all your colorizing that is doing this. but the application of 'paint' here looks a bit uneven and off-color in places..
The twins legs were the biggest torn and I am equally disappointed with the results, but I decided to go for the critique as I'd kind of reach a point of diminishing returns. In the original picture the legs ARE mottled, dark, and grainy. I think the photographers flash fell off pretty sharply there resulting in a grainy, noisey area. I used a brightness/contrast adjustment layer to lighten them up considerably (+15) and decrease the contrast (-5), and the end result was a bit flat and lifeless. I hope to improve on them in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
Also bear in mind that my eye is better than my hand, so i'm not sure i could do any better so again, overall, it's pretty darn good.
Craig, I am honored to receive such a compliment from you. Pretty darn good makes be pretty darn happy! (but I will keep striving to get better).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 PM

blue dog, you're welcome (think A- if i were grading )

you might try a bit of very light airbrushing on the legs to handle the mottling. do this on a blank layer at a VERY low opacity. just build it up a little at a time till it looks good. you might even use a blend mode on the airbrush layer, depending. it really wont need a lot.

another way might be to mask and then 'add noise' to the masked area. do this on a blank layer also, then gausian blur the layer a tiny bit, usually only 2 to 4 percent or so, just enough to smooth the noise a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 PM

Much better, but still a few problems.
The reason I asked about your method, is because it looks like different methods were used. The skin looks more realistic (although a bit off), whereas the rest of the image looks colorized. By that I mean that areas are filled with single colors and do not have the subtle color differences that are natural to color images. The close up of the iris looks good, and that sort of attention to detail is what the rest of the image needs.
Something you might try as a means of training yourself....open a color image and duplicate it. Desaturate one of the images, and then colorize it, using the original color image as a reference.
I did a bit of a makeover on yours, to illustrate the differences in coloring. Regardless of the method you use to colorize, you need to get away from selecting areas and filling them with color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1002bcopy.jpg (73.1 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Thumbs down Repost

Vikki,

Thank you. As usual, I was completely content with the redheads skin coloring - until I saw yours. I did actually use the same technique on all four girls, it looks like I was a bit monochromatic compared to yours. The training suggestion sounds like a good idea.

Attached is a slightly reworked version that tries to improve on areas that I was unhappy with when I originally posted it. Changes:

1. Applied a warming filter to the middle girls face as it was starting to look too grey.
2. Sharpened the twins hands - they are a bit blury.
3. Completely redid the legs. This time I dumped the brightness/contrast adjustment and applied two techniques with, I think, considerably better results. (a) I did a illumination copy, inverted, and created a HSL layer (that gives you a reverse illumination copy) (b) set the blend mode to Screen and adjust the mix to taste. (c) applied a curves layer and (d) recolorized. The result is much more delicate and lifelike that before. The mottling is much reduced.
4. Adjusted the redheads hair with less red, more blue and, i hope, a more realistic color..
5. Corrected mottling in left baby's arms using the technique suggested by Craig.

Following Vikki's advice I think that I'll let this one set while I do some training. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web-1002c-sm.jpg (96.9 KB, 55 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 PM

You've missed a bit of wall between the lefthand girl's briad and her face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Smile Re: Please Critique My Latest Colorization

Hi Blue Dog,

I came across your photo whilst browsing the critique forum, I am afraid I just couldn't resist having a go at colourizing this beautiful photo, what a lovely bunch the girls are. I hope you don't mind my working on your photos. I am practicing using the method of primary colouring from worth 1000, it's a tough method to grasp but one I want to persist with.

Many thanks

Best regards

helen

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/99582423/original

Last edited by sergio2263; 07-02-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: photo url
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques