RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

removing spills and fading

Old 11-26-2006, 02:07 AM

removing spills and fading

I'd like some help with a family photo I've been working on. This one has a lot of skin, fabric and texture so it was a bit of a challenge for as many spills as it had. Everytime I look at it, my eyes keep darting back to the areas I had problems with.

Anyway, I'm not going to mention the areas yet. I'd like to see if anyone else is seeing what I see, or if I'm just nitpicking about things that the average viewer won't notice.

About my skill level: I've been using graphic programs casually for about 10 years now, starting with Paint Shop Pro and moving on to Photoshop about 6 years ago. I've had a job doing production art for about a year and a half now, but mostly work with Adobe Illustrator. I'm a college drop out that hasn't had any art classes yet, but would love to go back to study in an art related field.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family19751.jpg (97.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg family19752.jpg (89.6 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 06:13 AM

Re: removing spills and fading

I think you have done a damn fine job. I know from experience getting rid of those kinds of stains (particularly on delicate areas like the face) is very time consuming. I am sure you have already spent a lot of time on this photo. I like the way you have sharpened it: just enough to make a difference but not too much so that it is obvious. I also like the fact that you have stayed with the original colors and haven't tried to oversaturate it or over colour correct it. Having said that, though, there seems to be a bit of a red colour cast to it which is easily corrected. A levels adjustment layer/options/auto colour corrections/check 'find dark/light colours' and then set the whole adjustment layer to "Color" so as not to mess with the hightlights/shadows does the trick very nicely. Turn the opacity of the layer down if you think it too much.

I opened it in Photoshop just to see what you were worried about (because at first glance it appears near perfect). Some of the stains still have yellowish tinges to them. I found that if I made a loose selection around them with the lasso tool, feathered the selection to about 2.5 pixels, opened a curves adjustment layer and added some more blue to the midtones - not too much - an increase of about 10 - it did the trick quite nicely. Of course you could use a Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer or a Selective Colour Layer and they would probably do it equally well.

Other weak areas: The woman on the left's mouth has lost a bit of definition and the skin tones are a bit muddy. You have missed at least one stain - at the bottom of the shirt of the long-haired guy, second from the left.

But I am really nitpicking here and you could probably print it out as it is and everyone would say "Wow! What a fine job". It all depends how much time you want to spend on it. I think you are 90% of the way there. Just a little tweaking here and there and it will be complete. Congratulations on a job well done.

Sincerely Syd
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 AM

That is an excellent retouch, Umbra.

I remember an image posted on RP that had similar discolored spots on it. It was an image of 3 or 4 people on a ferry. Flora had come up with a clever method of removing the spots without cloning or healing. It was working in channels in some way. I thought I had saved the posting but I cannot find it. Any long-time members remember the image?

I tried blurring the a and b channels of Umbra's image in LAB, but it was not the same result as Flora achieved.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 09:38 AM

Hi Ken

I think this is the thread you are thinking of
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ide-marks.html

But I don’t think that method would work here because the marks are in all three channels.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Yes, Ken, that's the one. Nice find.

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 12:15 PM

I agree with Syd and Ken that you have done an excellent job, and probably printing it as is would bring some "Wows!". However, if you have some extra time and patience, I also agree with Syd about some yellowing from the stains still being visible -- i.e., the young man with long hair's shirt. I selected the shirt and used a Selective Color adjustment layer -- I went into several color areas and ended up removing a bit of the shadow on his shirt also (my numbers were not necessarily what you would use, but I'll give them as a rough guide: Red: Yellow (move slider to left) -89% ; Yellow: -43%; Blue: Black -62%; Whites:Magenta -13% and Yellow -20%; Neutrals: Black -27% and added color to Magenta +3%;Blacks: -5%). One or more might not have been necessary, but I don't have great eyesight and THINK I saw a difference to the positive. I also used Selective Color to remove a "bit" of magenta cast from the Reds -- which affects the skin color. I also used the patch tool on the spot on the bottom of the striped shirt.

I also used Color Range to select the curtain backdrop, copied it to another layer and used Screen layer blend to lighten/brighten it a bit -- lowering the opacity to taste. There is a problem with lightening the curtain because it makes the family's shadows show up more. Your work is already printable, and how much you choose to do is up to you.

Redid attachment due to blurriness - chose different compression rate. Also added a couple of Overlay layers and lightened the girl on left's facial creases in response to OP's next post -- not sure just what would be best to do on her face -- to keep a natural look at the angle she is bending her head...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family1975-2redo.jpg (82.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-26-2006 at 03:45 PM. Reason: reattached image - added text
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Syd: I see what you mean about the red cast now. I was so focused on getting rid of the stains that I didn't tweak overall color much but your suggestion looks good. I'll definetely try that for the final image. Some good catches - it looks like you hit almost all of my problem areas.

Ken and Cameraken: Thanks for the link. While I'm not sure that I could apply that for the type of spots on this picture, I have several other pictures that have a problem nearly identical to the one in that thread and will try it out. Cloning/patching over them is very time consuming and they have more random spots than this picture.

CJ: the image is kind of blurry but I do see a difference in the shirt. I'll play around with those numbers and see what I can get.

Now that I see that I'm not alone in seeing my problem areas I'll clarify what I'm having problems with:

1. The girl's arm: seems like an easy job and something that I've done before, but for some reason I just can't get it to blend right this time. The circled area looks too dark and the color is off. Everytime I adjust it I just end up with a new problem there.

2. The girl's face: The colors and creases/shadows of her skin don't look right.

3. The striped shirt: Still looks dirty. I want to keep the stripes to be the same color consistently all over the shirt. I left the stain on the bottom until I figure out how to deal with the top

4. spot on the patterned pants: very small but I keep noticing it (my photoshop version of the image is much larger than the attachment). It was hard to clone due to it being on a pattern that is curved around. Might just go in with a brush to fix the lines?

The rest of the image has some spots that could use some easy minor adjustments. I'll go back to those after I fix these.

I'm pretty sure that I could fix the problems now by doing a very meticulous clone/paintbrush job, but that would be very time consuming and I'm hoping there is a better technique. It's beginning to feel like these spots have taken more time than the rest of the picture put together. I'm going to practice with some of the suggestions already made in the thread but if anyone has more ideas to speed things along let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family19752-trouble.jpg (93.1 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra
CJ: the image is kind of blurry but I do see a difference in the shirt. I'll play around with those numbers and see what I can get.
It certainly does! That's not the effect of using Selective Color, and I'm not sure what happened to my rendition -- I'll re-do it and re-attach it.

I think the blurriness was due to compression of the image when I prepared it for upload -- I re-did it a bit in response to your post, Umbra. No matter what MY rendition looks like, I would suggest you try the Selective Color adjustment layer technique -- it can really help take some color casts or even dingy looks out (taking out a bit of black from some colors or the Neutrals) without affecting the other colors as much. It can affect other colors and sometimes requires selections or masking, but it is a very good tool.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-26-2006 at 03:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 06:34 PM

my attempt for this picture,
i have use level adjustment, and airbrush in color mode, burn/dodge to remove spills.
sorry for my very bad english.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40199-removing-spills-fadin.jpg (93.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by jeangab; 11-26-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2006, 06:36 PM

You did a very nice job on this restoration. This is what I did to attempt to correct the problems that you highlighted.

On the young mans shirt I adjusted the light area rather than the dark spot that you circled. I selected the area and created a curves layer and made some adjustments that got me close. Next I used the same mask and created a color adjustment layer and refined the color. Not perfect but much better.

On the arm I selected the dark area and created a curves adjustment layer again. Using that layer I adjusted the color and brightness to get close, then I created a new layer and painted over the spot to even it out, and finish it off.

For the girls face I created a new layer and just did some painting. I’m not really sure what you are objecting to, but I think this is an improvement.

I did some careful cloning for the pants. The spot still shows, but it is better.

Total time 15 min.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family19752-m.jpg (89.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Morleyuwm; 11-26-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques