RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Recent Restorations: Your Critique Encouraged

Old 12-02-2006, 11:51 PM

Arrow Recent Restorations: Your Critique Encouraged

Hi All!

My Dad sent me a bunch of old family images that needed work.

I am going to post a few of them here to see what you think was good and what you think could have been better about the images.

1.) Susan Woods
This image was taken by my dad of a sketch/painting of one of my relatives. The image was a digital photograph and there was a terrible flash mark on all of them. Thankfully he took several images of the painting and I pieced it together the best I could. There was also a terrible window reflection in the glass which covered most of her face. What do you think of the result?

2.) Thomas Huson
My lineage includes a few painters! LOL This one was one of the more famous ones from my Dad's side... I seem to not have inherited much of his skill in that area... bummer! Same thing went for this image, except all the images had the flash in the same spot and the resolution was very poor. I found it terrible to work with the neck area as most of the data was gone. So I just did the best I could.

continued in next post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg susanwoods_before.jpg (39.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg susanwoods_after.jpg (21.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg thomashuson_before.jpg (32.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg thomashuson_after.jpg (45.7 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM

Arrow Re: Recent Restorations: Your Critique Encouraged

Restorations continued...

3.) My Grandma (maternal)
This image is from about the late 40's or early 50's. I'm not quite sure. My biggest challenge with this one was that her jacket was a houndstooth pattern and it was awful to match it up to patch it and make it look better after taking that tear out. Does anyone have good tips for working on tears in patterned fabric?

4.) My Grandma as a baby with her parents.
This one wasn't too bad with just a few stains on it. I tried to replicate the matting, but could not find a way to make it look the same. I ended up just cropping it.

Any feedback and critique is much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandmaz_before.jpg (45.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg grandmaz_after.jpg (44.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg stephenson_before.jpg (22.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg stephenson_after.jpg (27.6 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 02:49 AM

Re: Recent Restorations: Your Critique Encouraged

1st Granny Picture.

The most obvious indication of a "fix" here was the difference in lighting on the collar between the area to one side of the tear and the other.

So I made a selection on the collar to the LHS of the tear and copied/pasted to a new layer, then adjusted it with levels.

Similar area on the coat looks like a natural fold, so I left it alone.

For the Thomas Hudson picture, there is a colour change in the chin/collar area which catches your attention.

So I copied to a new layer, desaturated this layer and used burn tool a little on the LH moustache area and the coat lapel.

New layer, set blend mode to color and filled with color sampled from original, reduced layer opacity for best colour match. This evened out the colour across the "flash" area making it a touch less noticeable.

Liked all the other restorations very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandmaz_after copy.jpg (62.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg thomashuson_after copy.jpg (71.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 12-03-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 AM

My favorites are 1 and 4.

Number 1 is clean, crisp and I find the colors are spot on versus the original. I would experiment with a little more contrast to see if the folds of the dress could be brought out.

I love Number 4... every picture tells a story and even still this is a posed photo, the focus is the baby and not the camera. I would have avoided to crop the image to try to maintain the original proportions of the photograph. I like the tones and the clarity of the final image.
I would have tried a tad more sharpness: it could also be because I'm looking at a very small, compressed JPG image. I would have tried to straighten the baby's head. So it would be something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
...Hi All!...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parents.jpg (11.5 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
1st Granny Picture.

The most obvious indication of a "fix" here was the difference in lighting on the collar between the area to one side of the tear and the other.

So I made a selection on the collar to the LHS of the tear and copied/pasted to a new layer, then adjusted it with levels.

Similar area on the coat looks like a natural fold, so I left it alone.

For the Thomas Hudson picture, there is a colour change in the chin/collar area which catches your attention.

So I copied to a new layer, desaturated this layer and used burn tool a little on the LH moustache area and the coat lapel.

New layer, set blend mode to color and filled with color sampled from original, reduced layer opacity for best colour match. This evened out the colour across the "flash" area making it a touch less noticeable.

Liked all the other restorations very much.
Gary,

Thank you so much for your observations. I really fought with that coat lapel and got stumped! I don't know why I never even thought of doing what you did. You are so clever! Thank you for outlining what you did!

Also on the Huson image... great job! Again, this was a stumper for me. I really appreciate you having a go at these fixes and for telling me what you did!

Very helpful!

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes
My favorites are 1 and 4.

Number 1 is clean, crisp and I find the colors are spot on versus the original. I would experiment with a little more contrast to see if the folds of the dress could be brought out.

I love Number 4... every picture tells a story and even still this is a posed photo, the focus is the baby and not the camera. I would have avoided to crop the image to try to maintain the original proportions of the photograph. I like the tones and the clarity of the final image.
I would have tried a tad more sharpness: it could also be because I'm looking at a very small, compressed JPG image. I would have tried to straighten the baby's head. So it would be something like this
Thank you Frank!

You know I struggled with sharpening 4 as well. I was having a terrible time with that fringe that happens when you over sharpen something, so I sharpened it some and then used a masking layer to bring out the eyes and some other features but decided against overall sharpening. I think the actual print looks fine (to my eye anyway).

I'm sorry about the small size I posted!

I never thought about straightening the Baby's head at all! Actually, it does look better that way! Great eye!

About number 1 (Susan Woods).. what method would you have employed to bring out the folds of the dress more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 02:50 AM

You're welcome, glad I could help a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM

About number 1 (Susan Woods).. what method would you have employed to bring out the folds of the dress more?

I would try to select only the dress and experiment with the levels and/or curves and see where it would take me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbluvva
Thank you Frank!

You know I struggled with sharpening 4 as well. I was having a terrible time with that fringe that happens when you over sharpen something, so I sharpened it some and then used a masking layer to bring out the eyes and some other features but decided against overall sharpening. I think the actual print looks fine (to my eye anyway).

I'm sorry about the small size I posted!

I never thought about straightening the Baby's head at all! Actually, it does look better that way! Great eye!

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2006, 06:38 AM

Question Selection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
1st Granny Picture.

Gary,

I've come back to Grandma's image and was wondering if you could explain in more detail to me which part of the coat you selected (the collar). You siad the LHS of the tear area was selected? Did you select the whole part of that collar and darken it?

I want to fix it, but I'm not gettign the same result. I still can't fade the line.

Did you also select the line (tear area)?

I selected the LHS of the collar and then did levels, but as you see it's not eliminating the line as you were able to do.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandma-select.jpg (85.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg grandma-levels.jpg (99.8 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM

Hi Natalie,

Sorry to be so long coming back to you on this, I got a bit distracted by other things and forgot all about it, my most heartfelt apology.

OK, lets get down to things.

First of all I'm working with your "After" image.

I first duplicated the image to another layer and de-saturated it. Then using Quick Mask with a HARD edged brush I blocked in the area I wanted to select (see pic 1). Be careful doing this, as any inadequacies in the selection will show, but as it's a hard edged area you're selecting the hard brush gives best results.

Converted Rubylith mask to a selection, then copied and pasted this to a new layer. I applied levels to this layer (see pic 2 for settings). I use this rather than a adjustment layer, because if I over darken things I can adjust the layer opacity to compensate and get a better result. (I left it at 100% in the example below, but I like to look at it for a while before I finally decide if it's how I want it). Note: You can mask this layer if your original selection wasn't quite as good as you wanted.

Lastly I sampled color from the original, and used it in a color layer, I was in a bit of a hurry, and didn't adjust layer opacity in the posted image, so the color's a bit strong, dropping the layer opacity should improve things.

I try to make everything as adjustable as possible, so you can fine tweak things afterwards. (Pic posted is a bit rushed, so may not be quite as good as it could be).

The purpose of the color layer was to even out the tone, which altered slightly from one side of the line to the other, and gave things away.

Hope this explains things a bit better, any questions just ask.

Good luck with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Select.jpg (20.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Levels.jpg (22.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg grandmaz_after copy.jpg (62.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 12-20-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques