RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

New to beauty retouching

Old 01-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Re: New to beauty retouching

much better. if you want to learn you might do some grunt work for me in the future. i need an intern of sorts.

I'm sorry I'm not here to give advice. I'm rarely here at all. Retouching is hard work, disciplined and there are no quick fixes, no buttons to push, no magic. It's not how you do it. It's the end product. This is supposed to be a non evident or at least real-ish looking discipline where art can come into play. One needs to be as critical of their own work as possible - that is the work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 06:01 PM

Wink Re: New to beauty retouching

I might take you up on that offer, depending on who your clients are. This industry in NYC seems so incestuous. For all I know, our studio is your client. Or our client is your client, also. I manage a photography studio... and am looking to step into freelance retouching... and the photographer I manage doesn't know it, yet. If I showed up on your doorstep to help on images we shot last week... well, I'm sure you know how that goes (right?) (and I might not be opposed to it).

Also, interns in NYC could mean that I hang out in your apartment and dust and organize your shoes while you sit at your computer in your fuzzy slippers looking for your next gig. (This has happened!)

BTW, that photo I retouched is not from our studio, but is from an amatuer who posted an add on Craig's List for a cheap retoucher. Yes, I do need to get my practice in somehow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Just having fun...
Lasa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hi-lasa.jpg (96.6 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 AM

i thought i'd play too and get my feet wet with this retouch; i hope you don't mind. this is my first retouch post here. this was a great image to work with in terms of toning down the skin imperfections but still keeping it real.

little fisher, i think your second attempt was much improved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pixel1.jpg (98.4 KB, 99 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 08:13 PM

well little fisher. can you tell me what you learned in this process?

retouching is about seeing. really looking into an image and seeing it.you can start by collecting tear sheets from magazines and keeping them in a folder for reference.

there are many types of styles of retouching. One thing to keep in mind is that if you start using a technique use it through out the image. Don't stop at the jawline for example go all the way through it. It is like a women who uses a strong foundation and concealer on her face and doesn't blend it down her neck line.

In your image you missed the highlight around the mouth and the texture in the eye showdow area isn't as smooth as you made the rest of her face.

But really any make-up artist using that image for their book isn't getting work and won't be for a while at the very least. So they have no budget. She like most of the people on craigs list should be put on a train with pagent retouchers and a video should be made of it as it wrecks . I know it's hard not to look.

attracting a clientel through craigs list is like trying to bring down a jet plane by throwin a tennis ball at it, while it flys by. Most posts on craigs list are not real. i.e. (seeking Hi end retoucher with advanced experience in Photoshop,illustrator Quark and Go Live, pay $7.00 an hour).

Practice and get real pictures of models to work on. when the time comes to show your retouching book you will be judged on how professional the whole shot looks. That means Model, Wardrobe, Hair & Make-up, Lighting ect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM

What have I learned? To take the good critiques with the bad and not take anything too personal. I've learned to seek out new techniques make the next attempt at least a little better than the last. Outside of my Craiglist retouching experience, I have learned never to lie about my abilities. I am a beginner.

Bojin, if you would like to donate a few real pictures for me to practice on, I would be grateful. Perhaps I could also suggest that you go see Little Miss Sunshine, seeing how you feel about pagents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Cool Re: New to beauty retouching

I don't know how to upload an image bigger then this. But this image has everything I spoke of. Professional model, wardrobe, hair & make-up and because I shot her on a blue screen you can remove the background and import whatever.Which makes it a great masking test! There is wardrobe clean up to be made, some complexion and veining in her hands that can be cleaned up.

Bust a Move
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3332a.jpg (84.7 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Bojin Taylor; 02-06-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 01:15 PM

Do you have a bigger version?
Thats so small that I can't really make out the veining.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Bojin Taylor....are you just doing a save-as in ps in jpeg format, or are you doing a save for web? with save for web you can get a much larger image under 100K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM

KR1156 is correct -- you can usually upload a file 800x600 pixels at less than 100k using "Save for Web".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model3332a.jpg (97.8 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques