Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

Re: I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojin Taylor
I am uncomfortable with the fact you stole someone elses name i.e. 'PHOTOSHOP' and seem to have an ownership of it.
Taylor, who the hell are you to tell arcadhia that he is a thief for the simple fact of him using the term "photoshop"?? Scott Kelby uses the term photoshop all the time and he is certainly no owner of photoshop either, dont stop him using the name though does it?

Quote:
Scott Kelby is a good guy and has done a lot to share his information with people everywhere.
Sure, he knows his way around photoshop but then those of us who learn the software that we use regularly also know how to use it, some just as well as the so called "photoshop guys". Also, dont forget that the only reason that he is seen as "a good guy and has done a lot to share his information with people everywhere" is for the simple reason that he GETS PAID for doing it and paid very well too! Do you think that he would appear on the tv "sharing" the information that he has been taught if he wasnt getting paid for it? For this, think of the many peope on this forum who are just as smart with their use of photoshop but who help people to solve their problems with a specific matter for FREE!

Quote:
Seriously you didn't work for the name you were just the first one to steal it. How much effort is that worth to you? a CS suite is $1200+ and with CS 3 coming out soon counter full the full CS3 suite and some autographed books and maybe more $. your bargining right now and you can easily walk away and lose Scott Kelby as a viable networking friend and some cool stuff. Then you can keep what you stole.
How do you know he didnt work for the name? he worked for the money to enable him to pay for the registration of the name, therefore he DID work for the name indirectly. Why would arcadhia bother in the least about losing him as a network "friend"? Even if he were to offer his legally registered website to kerby, Is he likely to be invited out for a sit down dinner and drink with kerby because of it? I think not and should arcadhia have the mind to give away his ownership rights for some lame payment then I wold go as far to say that kerby wouldnt even know or remember arcadhia's name a day after they took over.

Best thing for you to do taylor is to keep your comments to yourself and let arcadhia decide for himself as to how far he wants to go with it. As for me, if I were the owner of the site, I would certainly hang in there and fight to get the last cent from anyone who wanted to buy the rights to the name that I had had the foresight to register.

Hang in there arcadhia, when something is worth having then its worth paying for and, lets face it, even if you were to be paid a few 000's in cash it wouldnt be coming out of kerby's pocket but that of a major corporation, therefore, they can afford to pay for it.

Tinamou
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamou
Taylor, who the hell are you
Tinamou
Who am I?
Well I am a guy with a different opinon then you.
And I must say am am pleased that my comments got you off your sofa long enough to share your views.

Lets see ... bitter photoshop user? Unappreciated artist ?

Ya that's not hard to find.

I stand by my comments the fact someone can register 'your name .com' and then ransome it back to you seems unfair to me.
Did Scott invent Photoshop? No I didn't say he did. What he has done is sucessfully market it.
Your missing my point. climb down off your soapbox and sit back on your sofa and try to understand this whole idea of having your identity stolen and having to buy it back.
Not the Scott/Photoshop thing!
The Tinamou.com maybe. Somebody calls you in the middle of the night saying listen if you ever want to see your domain name again you will leave $100,000 dollars in an unmarked bag at 1st and lexington, or else!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I stand by my comments the fact someone can register 'your name .com' and then ransome it back to you seems unfair to me.
This is just my .02 worth. If arcadhia had purchased scottkelby.com or some variation then you might have a valid point, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. However, Kelby has no more right to the photoshop name than do several other writers of photoshop books such as Katrin Eismann, Jack Davis, Barry Haynes & Wendy Crumpler, just to name a few authors I have helped to support as well as Kelby. arcadhia got it and if he doesn't want to sell it for what is offered then it is perfectly fine with me.

Dennis
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM

well that makes me feel better.

It's good for me to get your ideas on this kinda stuff. I was just kinda lost ... left out there to think ... on my own.

I was gonna take some Nyquil so as to sleep better tonight. but know that I know your thoughts on this, I know I will be able to sleep a lot better tonight.

Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 PM

beware that domain squatting is illegal...., since you are NOT using your names, this is in fact what you are doing, hoping to make money off of it. Especially since you are using a trademarked name.

Check around some of the law sites, and you will see many cases that were brought to court for people doing exactly what you are doing.

The offer they made you is more than generous, you stand to lose no business or income from those names, as they aren't set up....

tread lightly.

Last edited by Photo678; 01-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 AM

Domains are pretty worthless, I'd take their offer - they dont need the domain, they've already purchased a viable alternative. Their offer is very good, the domain is unlikely to be particularly saleable due to its length and specificness. $500 in itself is a good offer, particularly since you werent using the domain and the value of the additional products offered is exceptionally high.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo678
beware that domain squatting is illegal...., since you are NOT using your names, this is in fact what you are doing, hoping to make money off of it. Especially since you are using a trademarked name.

Check around some of the law sites, and you will see many cases that were brought to court for people doing exactly what you are doing.

The offer they made you is more than generous, you stand to lose no business or income from those names, as they aren't set up....

tread lightly.
1. Domain squatting is NOT illegal - except on trademarked names, where the trademark preceeds the domain registration.
2. These domains are not squatted, they are 'reserved'

Domain squatting is related to registering a name and setting up a generic search/ad page to make money off direct type-ins. Often of misspellings of popular sites.
Buying and selling potentially popular domains is another subject entirely and is only illegal when registering trademarked names eg. adobe.com and then trying to ransom it to the company in question.
These domains have quite clearly been purchased with the intent of developing them at some point but an offer has been made to purchase them before they could be developed. Theres nothing illegal or immoral about any of this.
Should adobe try to take control of the domain through the courts, they would probably find that simply using photoshop in the domain name is not enough for them to claim rightful ownership.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting
http://www.bitlaw.com/source/15usc/1129.html

what you are talking about nancy is typo squatting.....and, as far as i know, the name "photoshop" is trademarked.

Regardless of the legalities, we are in agreement that the offer is more than generous. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques