RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 PM

Exclamation I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Hi...
I need your advise... Scott Kelby's people are pressuring me to sell them the domains;
PhotoshopMuseum.com
PhotoshopMuseum.org
I really need the money, but I always want to be in the 'Touch Up' Biz, so I really don't want to sell...
They're offering me just:
-Wacom Intuos 3 [6x11]
-Photoshop CS2 Suite
-$500 dlls.
Maybe someone here has a better idea for this domains, I know how to form Nevada's Corporation to make online biz if you have an idea for the domains
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 PM

Re: I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Well, personally, I think those domains could be pretty in demand, and you can get more for them than that. I am not sure if there is a specific place to sell domains (there probably is) but I'd fish around and see what you can get better. Sounds greedy I guess, but trust me, I've seen the world of domain acquisition and people go crazy. Good domain names, make sure you get their value.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2006, 07:41 PM

I agree, their offer is very weak.

I browsed a site a while ago selling domain names and the 'good' names were all selling for nearly $5,000. I saw a few above that too.

If I find that site again I'll post here, otherwise do some research. I think PhotoshopMuseum is a great url and worth more than their offer.

Edit: Some crazy prices here! http://www.greatdomains.com/

Last edited by BillFrey; 12-29-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2006, 01:24 AM

Whatever you get, see if you can squeeze in another Wacom 6x8 for those of us who use and contribute to RP...!

I would ask for more if I were you. Those seem to be rather nice domains...

I respect scott kelby and would think he could offer more than that..although, think about ROI, how much have you invested and how much you could gain - - - - it's greedy, but to each his own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 AM

I wouldn't sell it for $500.00..(plus stuff)..
I wonder how much they would be willing to pay if you weren't an individual, say you were..a small business or an Amazon holding the name...I'd say no thanks.
Its not about being greedy it about supply and demand, precieved worth. You have it they want it very simple. If somebody thinks it has value then it does.

Lasa

Last edited by Lasa; 12-29-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2006, 01:45 PM

I was thinking to set up a Virtual 3D Museum, where you can see the best Artworks in the field like:
- Retouching
- Commercial Art
- Effects
- Graphic Artists, etc... [and when you click in the Artwork, you can see a video and how was made...]

and then sell large prints, postals, posters, gicles, etc...
but I don't have the time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2006, 02:53 PM

the simple answer to the question of what is it worth is, what the market will bear, or, what it's worth to the buyer versus what it's worth to the seller. and that's really all it is. bartering and auctions always fascinate me for just this reason. it's a negotiating process and a determination of worth by both or all parties involved.

it also tickled me when someone figured out that domain names had a worth and began grabbing up big company names to sell to the big companies. quite clever, really. that's why you see names like 'therealFordMotorCompany.com' rather than just 'FordMotorCompany.com'. Ford wasnt willing to pay the price to someone who had grabbed the name to sell. (by the way, 'therealfordmotorcompany.com is fictitious as far as i know and just used to make a point here).

so, since you're debating whether this is worth it or not to you to sell, i'd guess that the offer is close to what you think it's worth. but, it may not be close to what they are willing to pay. so, the real question here would seem to be, 'what are they willing to pay?' and, that's the real trick, isnt it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Thumbs down Re: I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

Well...

They have told me that they need the domain to do a retrospective of Photoshop from version 1 to CS2 [and soon CS3], and that theyhave acquired 'AdobePhotoshopMuseum.com' for that objective...

But I truly believe that Photoshop is the best software out there, I have used 3D Max & Maya and one can substitute other, on Photoshop's case I think nobody can exceed it...
If I want to continue learning, is PS!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Angry Re: I need your help! PhotoshopMuseum.com & .org

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that they're "pressuring" you to sell, if in fact this is an accurate perception of their approach. Your domains belong to you! If they make a more realistic offer that better reflects their need to have them, great. Otherwise, they do without. You registered them first, just like they did theirs.

And if you decide to keep the domains, make sure to keep them renewed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM

I am uncomfortable with the fact you stole someone elses name i.e. 'PHOTOSHOP' and seem to have an ownership of it.

Scott Kelby is a good guy and has done a lot to share his information with people everywhere. As far as the offer, it may be thought of as a beginning offer you could always counteroffer.
Seriously you didn't work for the name you were just the first one to steal it. How much effort is that worth to you? a CS suite is $1200+ and with CS 3 coming out soon counter full the full CS3 suite and some autographed books and maybe more $. your bargining right now and you can easily walk away and lose Scott Kelby as a viable networking friend and some cool stuff. Then you can keep what you stole.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques