RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

need some advice

Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Re: need some advice

Elamdri, one of the main problems with this image, is that the "original" appears to have been reworked/messed up. The eyes are extremely over sharpened and the skin has been pushed around. The overall appearance (no matter how good the skin turns out) will not be a quality retouch. It is not natural for some areas to be over sharpened, while others are blurred/smudged.
You really need to post the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
Elamdri, one of the main problems with this image, is that the "original" appears to have been reworked/messed up. The eyes are extremely over sharpened and the skin has been pushed around. The overall appearance (no matter how good the skin turns out) will not be a quality retouch. It is not natural for some areas to be over sharpened, while others are blurred/smudged.
You really need to post the original.

Honest to god, the original image posted above is the original image. If its been worked on in any way, I was never told, and I don't have anything the predates the original image posted. I don't think it has been edited, because she doesn't own any photo-editing software.

This photo is the stock image, and the ONLY difference between this one and the original is that I cropped this one to make the original. This image is as far back as I can go, and besides the crop, there is NO difference between this image and the original

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5...bles189sg1.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM

I guess another possibility, for such a bad image, would be a very poor camera. Whatever the reason, I think the image needs a great deal of work to match up the soft and sharp areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM

I thought the original picture posted must have been processed also. The lack of quality is nothing that I've seen before.

I just looked at the exif and found the camera model. $50 model, bad reviews on quality, everyone likes how small it is.

http://www10.epinions.com/pr-Oregon_...Digital_Camera
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrey
I thought the original picture posted must have been processed also. The lack of quality is nothing that I've seen before.

I just looked at the exif and found the camera model. $50 model, bad reviews on quality, everyone likes how small it is.

http://www10.epinions.com/pr-Oregon_...Digital_Camera

Oh wow, thats really neat, I didn't know you could find out all that stuff by the image. Learned something new today.

Yeah, I figured the camera is bad, you should see some of the images she wants me to mess with.

In fact, here is a MUCH better example of how bad her camera is. I've never seen a whitewash like that before. I was thinking about getting her a new Camera for her birthday, but I want one too, so its going to come down to how much money I have when the time comes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0274.jpg (99.7 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Maybe she could get better results by turning off the flash and using interior lighting. Perhaps exterior shots would work better too. The camera is a cute toy, but imo, it shouldn't be used for pictures you'd want to print.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I'm just assuming that a $50 camera is better to take out with you in case something were to happen to it. Its the price I pay for working with photos I don't take myself.

While we're on the topic of Cameras, can anyone suggest one? I don't want a very expensive professional camera, I just would like a nice one that really doesn't go over $350-$400.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques