I'm doing this for a friend and could use some advice:

Original

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/7844/anogn8.jpg

Retouched

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9694/an1zd2.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 03:12 AM

Re: need some advice

Welcome to RetouchPro! What do you want to know?

Photo is of a pretty young woman -- the photo would have been better if she had been seated in front of a lovely background, or seated farther away from the wall (so that the shadow didn't show so much). Flash has washed out her skintone in some areas, and there's some red-eye caused by the flash being at the wrong angle.

Your retouch has blurred her skin a bit too much -- it would look more realistic if you cut it back a bit. Are you using Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, PSP or what? How familiar are you with using the program? What do you need to know?

I'll post a version I did -- I used a Levels adjustment, a color balance, the healing brush, dodge on an overlay layer, added color to her top (it was almost blown out by the flash), and I also added a bit of a blur glow. I also used the liquify tool to raise her smile a bit -- not sure if she would want that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anogn8.jpg (93.7 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Welcome to RetouchPro! What do you want to know?

Photo is of a pretty young woman -- the photo would have been better if she had been seated in front of a lovely background, or seated farther away from the wall (so that the shadow didn't show so much). Flash has washed out her skintone in some areas, and there's some red-eye caused by the flash being at the wrong angle.

Your retouch has blurred her skin a bit too much -- it would look more realistic if you cut it back a bit. Are you using Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, PSP or what? How familiar are you with using the program? What do you need to know?

I'll post a version I did -- I used a Levels adjustment, a color balance, the healing brush, dodge on an overlay layer, added color to her top (it was almost blown out by the flash), and I also added a bit of a blur glow. I also used the liquify tool to raise her smile a bit -- not sure if she would want that.
Thanks for the welcome.

I use Photoshop CS2. I'm slightly familiar with it, I took a course in high school and am taking one now in college. Really, it's more a hobby than anything else, but it's something I really love doing.

I didn't take this photo, I was asked if I could take a look at this and touch it up a bit. I know the flash situation is bad, thats one of things I was asked to try and fix.

Comparing the 2: I really like elements of both. How did you get the skin to look like that, I tried, but as you stated, it doesn't look very real, too blurred. One thing you didn't do was adjust the nose (That was a big request, so I did my best on it), BUT I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHAT YOU DID WITH THE LIPS. Also, how did you soften the color of the nose? The one thing I really don't like is the overall..."yellowness" of the photo. It just looks weird to me I guess. It feels sort of "washed out" compared to my re-edit. I'm going to make some changes and repost a new version.

Last edited by Elamdri; 02-12-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 AM

Here is a new version. I haven't fixed the nose yet in this one, but thats because I can't figure out how to get that even skin tone you got to apply to the nose.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9360/an2ut6.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM

Elamdri, sorry about the "washed out look" -- you have the benefit of actually knowing the woman's skin color while I was only going with an average range of numbers. Your second version is looking better - show it to her and see her reaction.

I used Select -> Color Range to select the skin tones of her nose (used quick mask to add/remove some areas, and you could just use the quick mask to start off with since it's a small area to work with) and then used levels to adjust.

I used the Liquify filter to raise her bottom lip -- used the move pixels tool (moving from left to right just underneath the bottom lip with a small width size. Not sure if I could do it again without messing it up, but thought it worked this time. Lots of us force a smile for the camera, and it doesn't always look like our natural smile -- again, I don't have the benefit of knowing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 AM

I suspect that the original image isn't the actual original somebody has already tried to work it...before you got it...the nose color dif. is too abrupted..the forehead has some color but the rest seems bleached out..flattened...you have over softened, beside pixilated stuff..

If you asked them I bet you could get the original..probably a lot easier to work.

There are a lot of little things you could do to change the picture..but if you just need to color correct it some.. add a warm photofilter at 50-65%

Lasa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photofilter-lasa.jpg (95.2 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
Elamdri, sorry about the "washed out look" -- you have the benefit of actually knowing the woman's skin color while I was only going with an average range of numbers. Your second version is looking better - show it to her and see her reaction.

I used Select -> Color Range to select the skin tones of her nose (used quick mask to add/remove some areas, and you could just use the quick mask to start off with since it's a small area to work with) and then used levels to adjust.

I used the Liquify filter to raise her bottom lip -- used the move pixels tool (moving from left to right just underneath the bottom lip with a small width size. Not sure if I could do it again without messing it up, but thought it worked this time. Lots of us force a smile for the camera, and it doesn't always look like our natural smile -- again, I don't have the benefit of knowing.

Ok, I think I got the nose to where I like it, tone wise, thanks that Color Range thing really helped. Never used that before.

This is the final edit:

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7316/anfinalub9.jpg

I don't know if I'm gonna take it any farther, I'm happy with how it is right now, In case you we're wondering, this is actually my gf She wanted me to do this for her, she just doesn't know she's getting it as a surprise Valentine's Day gift.

Thanks for your help, and I really like the forums. I'll make sure to try and keep active.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasa
I suspect that the original image isn't the actual original somebody has already tried to work it...before you got it...the nose color dif. is too abrupted..the forehead has some color but the rest seems bleached out..flattened...you have over softened, beside pixilated stuff..

If you asked them I bet you could get the original..probably a lot easier to work.

There are a lot of little things you could do to change the picture..but if you just need to color correct it some.. add a warm photofilter at 50-65%

Lasa

ooh, I like what that does for the skin, but..not so sure about the rest. I'd have to mask off the rest of the image, especially the teeth, they look a little coffee stained.

As for it previously being retouched, no, just a bad camera I think.

I'll go play round with that photo filter one, thanks.

EDIT: oooh, yeah, it looks good, and actually, I only had to mask the teeth.

Last edited by Elamdri; 02-12-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi Elamdri

Welcome to Retouch Pro

Maybe something like this?

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_anogn8.jpg (99.3 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Final Product, Used a bit of Lasa's warmth filter idea, looks fantastic in my humble opinion. Tweaked the color of the lips just a bit, to make it warmer with the rest of the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANFINAL.jpg (90.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Elamdri; 02-13-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques