RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Trying some B&W...

Old 05-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Trying some B&W...

Hi folks. I'm back after a hiatus of a few months from the site (sometimes life just has a habit of getting in the way), and ready to have my fragile ego battered once more...

When I was around here before, Kraellin was pushing me to do self-critiques as part of the learning process, so I'm going to describe what I intended with this shot, and let you tell me whether I succeeded or not.

This was taken at a recent trip to The Lowry in Salford (UK). When I saw the opportunity, I was already thinking about taking some pictures specifically for B&W conversion, so this seemed ideal. In terms of composition, what attracted me principally was the strong lines of the walls leading to a focal point near the centre of the image. Along with the lines, there was also a group of people all looking towards the same point, suggesting something terribly interesting there. But I liked the way the focus of their attention was hidden by the central wall, giving a slight air of mystery (what are they all looking at?), contrasted by two people who obviously couldn't give a fig about whatever is going on (especially the bald guy). I could have cropped more tightly around the group, but I liked the extra space provided by the "bare" walls - it seemed to give the focal grouping more "presence", or "fix" them in context (I don't know how to put it, really, but I know what I mean...)

So that's it: various elements drawing the eye to a particular point, but the focus of attention at that point deliberately hidden to introduce an element of "mystery", with the counterpoint of two people uninvolved in the action.

Does it work, or am I being pretentious about what is just an ordinary picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Lowry 2007-05-06 (11)-Edit.jpg (31.8 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2007, 08:10 PM

Re: Trying some B&W...

I like the photo but can't muster much mystery for what anyone is looking at - they're looking at paintings in an art gallery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edit.jpg (70.2 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Re: Trying some B&W...

hi,
like so many things i am just a novice so take my thoughts for what there worth... I think overall you achieve your objective....

I can easily see all the lines, the top of the walls,, the lines on the dividing wall and the lines that forms on various pictures converging on a point....

and I can see the two groups , left and right side, of the dividing wall, looking at something but we don't what....

the two people though, keeps drawing my eye away from the main element...
maybe changing the focal length to where the two groups are sharp and the two people are sort of out of focus.... would keep the eye centered on the two groups and what there doing.....

well those are my thoughts..... I sort of surprised myself, i could easily see what you were trying to do.... I guess some of the critique video's on picture taking starting to pay off for me...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodnok View Post
Hi folks. I'm back after a hiatus of a few months from the site (sometimes life just has a habit of getting in the way), and ready to have my fragile ego battered once more...

When I was around here before, Kraellin was pushing me to do self-critiques as part of the learning process, so I'm going to describe what I intended with this shot, and let you tell me whether I succeeded or not.

This was taken at a recent trip to The Lowry in Salford (UK). When I saw the opportunity, I was already thinking about taking some pictures specifically for B&W conversion, so this seemed ideal. In terms of composition, what attracted me principally was the strong lines of the walls leading to a focal point near the centre of the image. Along with the lines, there was also a group of people all looking towards the same point, suggesting something terribly interesting there. But I liked the way the focus of their attention was hidden by the central wall, giving a slight air of mystery (what are they all looking at?), contrasted by two people who obviously couldn't give a fig about whatever is going on (especially the bald guy). I could have cropped more tightly around the group, but I liked the extra space provided by the "bare" walls - it seemed to give the focal grouping more "presence", or "fix" them in context (I don't know how to put it, really, but I know what I mean...)

So that's it: various elements drawing the eye to a particular point, but the focus of attention at that point deliberately hidden to introduce an element of "mystery", with the counterpoint of two people uninvolved in the action.

Does it work, or am I being pretentious about what is just an ordinary picture?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques