RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique Picture - Be Critical

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Re: Critique Picture - Be Critical

Hi Terrence,

I'm going to be writing a tech article on channel blending in the near future.

I'm not a photographer, so finding good example images is often a problem for me.

Would you have any objection to me using my before and after shots of this picture as part of the presentation?

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 PM

Michael,
Please feel free to use my picture in your tech article. Just Let me know when your article is out so I can take a look at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip6653 View Post
. . . I think I am going to look at Scott Kelbys "channels book". . .
I strongly recommend both of Dan Margulis' books, "Professional Photoshop" (fifth edition) and "Photoshop LAB Color" as well. While they're not an easy read and require study and restudy, they present the fundamentals of working with channels. Kelby's channels book is an easy read; it describes how to do a bunch of cool tricks but says little about why they work.

I'd classify Margulis' books as textbooks and Kelby's as a recipe book. Which you prefer is a matter of personal choice, of course. I have all three books and have read all of them cover to cover. I refer to Margulis constantly, have gone back to Kelby maybe twice.

Carole
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
I strongly recommend both of Dan Margulis' books, "Professional Photoshop" (fifth edition) and "Photoshop LAB Color" as well. While they're not an easy read and require study and restudy, they present the fundamentals of working with channels. Kelby's channels book is an easy read; it describes how to do a bunch of cool tricks but says little about why they work.

I'd classify Margulis' books as textbooks and Kelby's as a recipe book. Which you prefer is a matter of personal choice, of course. I have all three books and have read all of them cover to cover. I refer to Margulis constantly, have gone back to Kelby maybe twice.

Carole

I heartily agree! You can't do any better then Dan Margulis. I've read them all; Kelby, McClelland, Cross, Fraser, Blatner, and more. None of them have had the impact on my skills that Dan's teaching has had. Even Katrin Eisman doesn't come close, and her books are pretty good.

I suggest starting with the LAB book. It presents concepts that are quite accessible and immediately useful. It will definitely take you several readings to absorb everything in the second half, but the first half will absolutely transform how you approach using Photoshop.

Then if you're still hungry for more try tackling Professional Photoshop Fifth Edition. Many consider it to be quite a bit harder than the LAB book. But if you can make it through even one reading it will raise you to a whole new level of skill.

I've read and reread everything I can find by Mr. Margulis. Even after several readings I still come away with a deeper understanding of what it must be like to truly be a master of Photoshop.

Hi Carole! It's great to have another Margulis fan around.

Terrence, thanks for letting me use your picture. I'll certainly let you know when the article is ready.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 PM

Lurch and Graphics23,

I want to thank you for your book sugestions. I purchased on online and just started to read it and I can already tell it is going to help. I can also tell it is going to take forever for me to read this (slow reader with not alot of time) but never the less I will get through it.

Thanks again,
Terrence
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques