Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Re: Suggestions/Recommendations/Critiques?

Originally Posted by WayDen View Post
I see the part by the knot you were talking about - it seems I missed a small bit in there.
Well, the knot stands out the most but all of color on the fabric is too flat to look realistic. It sticks out like a sore thumb on my desktop monitor and it looks VERY painted over, but is way more subtle on my laptop. Depending on your monitor, you may not be seeing it nearly as much as me.

I watched the gif you included and it looked ok until you brightened the fabric. I'm not sure what method you used, but it washed out the shadows. The shadows in the creases and areas around her body should be darker.

I tried it from the original image and lightened the overall image (using levels mostly), desaturated the image, and painted over it using color mode (doesn't change the luminosity). I used a layer mask over that layer and knocked out the fabric areas.

I'm not quite a pro and there may be a better method, but this preserved the original image's shading fairly well. In case your monitor doesn't show the difference as much as my desktop I used blue arrows to show the areas that are missing shading in the top image.

But the "shadow" you see on her hip right by the knot is actually a tattoo. I probably should have just cloned it out, though, since you can't see the whole thing.
I think I'm seeing a different one. The spot I'm seeing has a natural blend in the original picture. I think what happened was when you were making her skin pale, you missed part of the shadow and left hard edges. I circled it in red so you can see which area I'm talking about.

fabric compare.jpg

I thought about replacing the cushions on the boat, but couldn't really think of what to replace them with. Maybe I'll add in some grass to the foreground....
Yeah, that would at least fit with the image a lot more than the cushions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques