RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Suggestions/Recommendations/Critiques?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Suggestions/Recommendations/Critiques?

I was just playing around with this picture last week, and ended up with this. I took this shot while doing a photoshoot with Heather on Valentine's Day (she's on a boat in my friend's backyard) - I also had some trouble with the camera (belonged to a friend), so I had to do some work in post to make it decent.

I made a good amount of changes to it (mostly color changes), and I made a small .gif animation if you want to see a step by step of those changes here. One of the changes that's not in that animation is the removal of the small part of her ribs that was sticking out slightly. I removed that to streamline the shape of her, and I think it works pretty well. I also did a little bit of cropping from the left side, and took a little from the top, and a lot off the bottom.

While I'm happy with the changes I made to it, I feel like more can be always be done to make it better, which brings me here! Any suggestions, recommendations, or critiques you could give me would be highly appreciated!

Here's the original, and here's the altered version.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM

Re: Suggestions/Recommendations/Critiques?

Sure is GREEN! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Sure is GREEN! :-)
Tell me about it! I'm not even a huge fan of the color, but as a starting off point, I put the color picker in the background, and went from there...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 PM

This really isn't my cup of tea, but I thought I'd give it a go anyways. As far as suggestions go...

For the original picture, before retouching, I would retake the photo. It seems to me like the camera is focused more on the girl's top and part of her neck rather than her face.

For the retouched image, I like the green of the clothing and whatever she's lounging on, it just seems like her skin has gone too green as well (it looks a little corpse like - if that's what you were going for, my apologies). You might think about changing the background out, it shouldn't be too difficult with the pen tool. It looks like you're already quite adept at doing exact selections (based on your colorizing work).

I did a quick (messy) background change just to see what I thought (also played with the overall color, added shadows, etc.).

My two cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Change.jpg (90.4 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2007, 10:57 PM

Kerry

Your "two cents" appears to be worth at least a buck and a half

Nice work!

Stosh
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshgrlkc View Post
For the retouched image, I like the green of the clothing and whatever she's lounging on, it just seems like her skin has gone too green as well (it looks a little corpse like - if that's what you were going for, my apologies). You might think about changing the background out, it shouldn't be too difficult with the pen tool. It looks like you're already quite adept at doing exact selections (based on your colorizing work).
I was going for a more pale look to her skin, so I tried to desaturate most of the color from it, and then made it slightly more white. No real reason for it, other than I kinda liked the contrast of it with the green in the rest of the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irshgrlkc View Post
I did a quick (messy) background change just to see what I thought (also played with the overall color, added shadows, etc.)
Love what you did! Especially the way the addition of shadows makes the viewer focus more on her face. Really nice job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 AM

The fabric and seat cushions have very flat color and look painted over. I'm not sure if I can pinpoint the reason for this at first glance but it seems like there's not enough contrast in the fabric. The area around the knot around her hips is especially guilty for this. There is also a shadow on her skin by the knot that looks like you started to modify the area but quit before you finished.

I like green and I think it can be made to work if you wanted that, but I'd at least get rid of the cushions. They seam very out of place compared to the mood of the rest of the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 06:41 AM

Kerry, your take on it is very, very impressive.

In the orginal the background is distracking. In the green one, have to agree with umbra the seat covers are very flat...and even though the background is blured, I still find it distracting. I guess that's why I like umbra's since both of those are removed, it focuses on her and it's a flatering, sexy kind of mood. Don't know what mood or feel you are going for though.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Kerry, very sensual
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the good & honest replies so far - it's highly appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
The area around the knot around her hips is especially guilty for this. There is also a shadow on her skin by the knot that looks like you started to modify the area but quit before you finished.
I see the part by the knot you were talking about - it seems I missed a small bit in there. But the "shadow" you see on her hip right by the knot is actually a tattoo. I probably should have just cloned it out, though, since you can't see the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
I like green and I think it can be made to work if you wanted that, but I'd at least get rid of the cushions. They seam very out of place compared to the mood of the rest of the picture.
I thought about replacing the cushions on the boat, but couldn't really think of what to replace them with. Maybe I'll add in some grass to the foreground....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques