RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Could this be the best?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Re: Could this be the best?

Its not just good, its the best I've ever seen and probably the best I'll ever be likely to see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Take it on the chin Toe, Vikkis work is far better.
Her coloring is beautiful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 12:24 AM

I second Swampy; the kids need some attention, but what with the eyes of the purple lady?
…and don’t be intimidated with Vikki’s work, you could be as good as she is or…better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Could this be the best?
No! It's OK, but I've seen lots better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 AM

Thank you for your welcome Swampy, Of course your right about the kids but i didn't have access to a burn tool till 2 days ago, I finally got photoshop, a mate upgraded and gave me his copy of ps7 the work was done with photodeluxe that i got OEM with my scanner back in 96.

LQQKER, again thank you for your comments, I'm learning a lot just by reading what you guys talk about. The red cast you picked up on must be compression, cos i was too lazy to give any of the black and white stuff colors.

The Veed, again, Right, only excuse is I just try and use every pixel i can when doing a restoration, without actually "Painting" if i can help it, Plus i don't really trust myself with a brush anyway.
I know this is going to sound dumb! but i just colored the bottom layer and then erased the parts from the. top layer that i wanted to color and then just adjusted the bottom layer to suit, Done all the skin in one hit, I reckon it worked well for the 3 people on the left and the kids, bride and groom too dark, the two on the right albino's!

dkcoats, Haha! Sorry to disappoint but I'm neither of those! The post was trying to get you to smile more than frown, i should have put in one of those little smileys.
I was just fishing for the best way for you guys to have a look for a start, and then tell me everything that i couldn't see. Trust me! I know I'm far from perfect, Just trying my best like everyone else.

NancyJ, I have checked out vikki's stuff, and i agree with swampy, Very good! But i wish i had some high res photo's to muck around with too, and I'm not saying i would do half as good a job as her, but i think with these low res photos you can only do so much.
half of these photo's in the restoration section, One black pixel out of place and you have a new life form.

Anyway thank you all for your replies, I had a quick go with photoshop to do what you asked, I don't real know how to use it yet but it looks very impressive! Lots of gizmo's! I like the healing tool and i tried to use the lighting filter to add some light where it should have been on the left, burnt the kids a bit, Unfortunately i think the smallest one was just a color void from the start and in motion when the picture was taken.

I have added the same file with some of the things you mentioned adjusted, Color saturation is plus 50 just for the sake of comparison, I known you can see my slap happy cloning now, Just to see if you like the colors!

Just seen chillin and Gary R and rats.
again vikki is very good, People like that inspire me to do the best job i can, For me it's about leaving as many of the original pixels in place as i can,

So i suppose all my skin coloring is always going to be a little bit too uniform, just hope you like my choice of colors, It was all done with hue and eraser.

chillin, maybe one day. She is VERY good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plus50.jpg (76.2 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Oh! and chillin, Shes wearing specks, they look pretty trendy for that time too, look like sunnies to me. i was the most happy with how she turned out, Her face i so smooth at any resolution, looks heaps better before compression but i bet you've all heard that before. ha ha.

LQQKER, I forgot to mention that the original photo is from the restoration challenge section, titled Leeds wedding, Now you are going to be able to pick the flaws in my restoration work as well, Oh well, The critique question was really just about the coloring anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Hi toe,

Prefer the later rendition, though perhaps the blue dress could do with toning down just a tad.

Thought I'd give you a bit of local knowledge.

I spent my early childhood in Leeds, in a house not dissimilar to the one in your picture. The paving slabs were usually a sort of sandstone, so should be coloured more a sort of sandy/grey colour. Ditto the window sill.

However your brick colour is pretty close to the colour of brick used in most Leeds Council housing of that period. A little colour variation would give it greater depth and realism.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2007, 08:00 AM

There you go Gary,
I "tried" to finish it with your suggestions, last post i promise! put some yellow over the whole thing in the end, just seemed to look good when looking at the color variations, i thought it made the color differences less harsh, but i probably just turned it yellow< anyway i think the bricks do look a little better like that. i think the sill might have turned out like you were talking about but ground too furry from cloning to take color to well, I hope the last is at least better than the first. Thanks for your time everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow.jpg (86.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM

All I can say is this is definately not the best no where near

soory just my opinion Zganie

P.S. there is quite a bit wrong with it the mans hankerchief pink? not going to happen, the ladies Violet/purple dress sorry no good,the two young girls look possesed Like the others have said Vikki has excellent work on her site ,so take a look
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2007, 11:14 PM

Red face Re: Could this be the best?

Zganie,
Thank you for replying.

just for comparison, Here is the spawn totally untouched other than to size the whole picture to 800 pixels wide, then crop just the kids, then compress that file the same ratio as the whole file would have been,the picture is 273 pixels wide and 157 high, from what i can tell the little girls face is approx: 30 pixels wide and 25 high, big sis is about 28 by 29.
I think if 'I' had tried to add any information in there they would truly have needed father merrin's assistance in a real hurry.

Any helpful hints on dealing with this level of detail when coloring would be good, we're all trying to learn from each other here so if anyone has any ideas feel free.

P.S. i promise i didn't add anything other than blue to "purple lady", Didn't even touch hanky's, even that carnation was supposed to be redder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spawn.jpg (32.7 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques