Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Could this be the best?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:33 AM

Re: Could this be the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
there is quite a bit wrong with it the mans hankerchief pink? not going to happen
Don't know whether my eyesight's going, but I don't see any pink handkerchiefs, a few pink roses yes, but no pink hankies.

I like the latest version Toe, though probably the skin areas need masking from the yellow tint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 08:39 AM

toe, I must say, you're thread title is a unique approach for getting attention and critiques!
So here's mine:
The biggest problem, I see, is revealed by this statement:
Quote:
...i was too lazy...
I think everyone agrees, if you want quality results, you have to put in some quality time and work.

I read the references made to my colorings (Thanks to all for your comments! I'm quite flattered). I feel it's necessary to note that having high resolution images will not improve your colorings. If anything, higher quality images require more time and work because the detail is more evident. If you mess up on those, it's quite obvious.

• Everything must be colored if you want it to look like a "color" image.
• Filling any area with a single color does not look good, period. If that worked, everyone would be a master at coloring.
• Color choices are extremely important. Do a little research for the time period the image was taken. What colors were in fashion? Did men all wear red/pink ties? Was flouresent pink clothing available? Don't add any random color just for the sake of adding color. Put some serious thought into your color choices.
• Using "overlay", extreme contrast, and other similar techniques, are not appropriate methods for manipulating color. Your image has lost all of the detail in the shadows. If you ruin the quality of the original image in your process, what it the point?
• Every pixel needs attention. It's all about the fine details. Going back to the statement I quoted, if you don't feel like putting in the work, don't expect to get decent results. That said, wouldn't it be of more value to ask for a critique of a serious effort?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 AM

Thanks Gary,
I know it seems like the 'final' version was posted pretty quickly, but i spent about 12 hours that day staring at the monitor trying to incorporate everyone's suggestions, colored about a third of the bricks different hue, desaturated bride and grooms faces except brides cheeks, desaturated shadowed half of purple lady, burnt kids a little more, tried to darken the lighter patches of brickwork and lighten the top parts, healing tool for the patchy pavement, burnt the man sitting down hands 'still gleaming i know' , the white patch on the old boys jacket, and i think a fair bit of selective lightening and darkening on the pavement.
Oh and desaturated the green frosted glass thanks to the hard man I've got here at work who came past every 10 Min's and said "why is there a football field in the house" and "which one's Maggie and which one's Bart!

So your right about the masking, thought about that myself after the fact, already overworked in my opinion, When i look at real photo's taken from this sort of range in color i don't see them this colorful, it's almost to me that when colorizing you have to, not only colorize but enhance the colors that might have been seen that day, all about personal taste i suppose.

Dead right about the contrasting though, Fixing a few rips in a photo is one thing but knowing what makes a good photo is where you should probably start in this game i reckon.
Anyway i have learned a little bit about what people like and dislike about colorization and would still like to know about 'photoexorsism' if someone could show me an example of what they would do with the kids especially, i would love to see it and hear how they went about it.

Thanks again Gary for the encouragement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 AM

Vikki, OUCH!
The title really was meant as a bit of a lark, Just to get you guys to have a look, and hopefully learn from what you all picked, I hope everyone would be a little more savage on someone who really thought they were that good, and i meant no offense by what i said, just meant that i have a serious lack of photo's to have a go at, other than the challenge photo's at the moment.
I did see the skin colorization tutorial that you pointed out, which has as i recall a nice clear photo to work with and was going to start with that.
And the lazy comment was "off the cuff" i didn't color the stuff that i tried to leave black and white because i thoght it felt right for suits and hats and shoes to leave em that way.
Sorry mate didn't mean to offend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM

toe, no offense taken! I actually think you're thread title was a great way to get noticed.
Was I too harsh? Please excuse my critique "style", but I see no value in a critique if it doesn't offer some critical analysis. If you had posted this in a "gallery", I would not have posted in the same manner.

Regarding the gray clothing...even gray has some color cast to it, and it really looks better when colored.

If you'd like to practice on better quality photos, you might look here:
http://historyforkids.utah.gov/fun_a...colorfilm.html
Although, as I said earlier, it's really not about having quality images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks again Gary for the encouragement.
You're welcome.As a strictly 3rd rate colourer myself, I appreciate that you've probably worked very hard on this.

Listening to "pros" like Vicky is the way to go, she's much more experienced and talented with a colour palette than I'll ever be (or want to be ). I think as well as all the attributes she suggested in her earlier post she forgot to add one that in my opinion is essential (because she has it and probably doesn't appreciate that not everyone else has), and that's an eye for colour.

Some people see colour better than others, and pick up subtle changes in tone and shade that we of lesser ability just fail to see. I'm not sure whether that ability is inborn or can be learnt.

Anyway, good luck with your picture and keep practising and learning, nothing good ever came easy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM

ViKKi,
No not too harsh, like i said, i thought everyone would have ripped into me over this one, I did a bit of searching this morning for colorization tutorials and came across your power of masking tutorial, which i found helped me understand the subject more and looks a very good way to repair the smaller things in damaged photo's and i realize it has far more uses then just that.
It is very early days for me with photoshop, I actually used photodeluxe for this, Which has no masking ability that i know of and no history either, So it's all a one shot deal with the eraser and to fix any inaccuracies just means scrap the layer and do it again, I think i was up to layer 24 in the end, As you can imagine I'm very excited about being able to fix things there and then with this masking ability and all the other little things I've had a quick look at history brush, sponge tool etc.

I also came across a tip you gave to someone else that i thought was brilliant! To try turning a color image to black and white and then bring it back, What an awesome way to teach yourself the level of detail that it takes to make it look realistic.

It would be fantastic to have all those ideas on not only how to colorize but how to be realistic about it, in one place, maybe a tutorial for the future?

Anyway i was impressed that you even had a look at my image and you're comments are taken on board, I really do want to learn to be better at this so thank you for your link, theres enough there to keep me busy for a while and learning how to get the job done with PS.

See you in a year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 PM

Gary,
Couldn't agree more about the eye for color comment, as i said above the idea of turning color to black and white and then back would go a long way to helping there though i reckon, and might well be a good place to start for me, It would be very easy to see how you were going as you went. Got to try and wrap my head around photoshop now, seems like it'll be very powerful and forgiving once you know how to wield it properly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 AM

The learning curve for PS is always pretty steep at first, and there's almost always something it can do that you weren't aware of.

However, though at times it's not always the most intuitive of programmes, it is without doubt one of the most versatile and will payback in spades any effort you make to learn it.

Just remember with PS that there's usually a bundle of ways for you to do the same thing and which one you use will be as much about personal preference as it is about achieving a desired effect.

Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2007, 10:46 AM

I like it.
In fact you did a very good job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques