RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

New coloration critique pls

Old 06-23-2007, 08:46 AM

New coloration critique pls

hello all,

just visiting after being away for a little bit I have been practising my coloration on black and white photo. pls note i am very new to photoshop so i appreciate any comment i get this is the only way i know that i am doing ok as i am teaching myself photoshop techniques.

pls click on the links below to see my works on coloration.

1. http://www.pbase.com/sergio2263/inbox - 3 weeks after using photoshop

http://www.pbase.com/sergio2263/image/81005474/original

5 weeks after using photoshop.

any reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2007, 04:32 AM

Re: New coloration critique pls

G'day sergio,
Lips, eye's, dress and skin look cool mate, just need to desaturate the background, i reckon but artistically looks pretty good mate. Mind you I'm not much myself, but I'm sure you'll have more qualified responses soon.
i like it mate keep going, just need to define the background i reckon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 AM

Hi Sergio very nice work,I think your definately on the right track.As far as critiques are concerned I think one can always find something to fix and/or improve,personally in the second one (the woman )theres to much of one tone of the brown maybe make more shades ,deeper darker and some lighter
all in all though very nice

just my opinion Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2007, 08:03 AM

I'm going to be brutally honest...
Photoshop skills and techniques are only a very small element of what makes a good colorization. The following are most important, and lacking in your images:
Color choices: don't just pick any color for the sake of adding color. I often see three mistakes that are extremes of color usage;
1) using too few colors (photo #5)
2) coloring every element a different color (photo #7).
3) bad color choices (photo #1). Do a little research.

Attention to detail (laziness): This is probably the biggest downfall. I notice this most often in image backgrounds (photos 5, 6, & 7). To simply color everything one color, does not work. Because this part is often tedious, most people don't bother with it and it ruins all the good work put in to the main subject of interest. You can not expect to get quality results if you are not willing to put in quality work.

If you search this forum for colorization topics, you should get plenty of additional ideas and tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: New coloration critique pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe View Post
G'day sergio,
Lips, eye's, dress and skin look cool mate, just need to desaturate the background, i reckon but artistically looks pretty good mate. Mind you I'm not much myself, but I'm sure you'll have more qualified responses soon.
i like it mate keep going, just need to define the background i reckon.
Hi Toe,

many thanks for your feedback on my new coloration it was my second attempt so i got carried away a bit i need to start taking more time and think about colour mix and match so they all go together will be back soon with some more colorations.

i appreciate your critique.

cheers

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 AM

Thumbs up Re: New coloration critique pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
Hi Sergio very nice work,I think your definately on the right track.As far as critiques are concerned I think one can always find something to fix and/or improve,personally in the second one (the woman )theres to much of one tone of the brown maybe make more shades ,deeper darker and some lighter
all in all though very nice

just my opinion Zganie

Hello zganie,

many thanks for your feedback on my new coloration thread yes you are right there are always room for improvement it takes much much work and dedications to become a pro which is where i want to get to i have a mountain to climb lol but i shall get there.

i appreciate your critique

cheers

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 AM

Smile Re: New coloration critique pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
I'm going to be brutally honest...
Photoshop skills and techniques are only a very small element of what makes a good colorization. The following are most important, and lacking in your images:
Color choices: don't just pick any color for the sake of adding color. I often see three mistakes that are extremes of color usage;
1) using too few colors (photo #5)
2) coloring every element a different color (photo #7).
3) bad color choices (photo #1). Do a little research.

Attention to detail (laziness): This is probably the biggest downfall. I notice this most often in image backgrounds (photos 5, 6, & 7). To simply color everything one color, does not work. Because this part is often tedious, most people don't bother with it and it ruins all the good work put in to the main subject of interest. You can not expect to get quality results if you are not willing to put in quality work.

If you search this forum for colorization topics, you should get plenty of additional ideas and tips.
Hello vikki,

many thanks for your comments i just realised you are the legend master of coloration i keep mentioning about well i am happy that a very pro like yourself took interest in my work i can assure you it help a lot, you can be as brutal as you want with the criticism about my work beside you have an educated manner of giving criticism instead of insults so i appreciate any critique i get from you.

i am on my own learning photoshop being a 44 yrs old lone mum keeping a home and changing to i hope will be my new career i have a mountain to climb i've never experiment with the sort of software as photoshop and i do not have anyone at home that can give me advice on what i am doing all i have is my pc and you people in the forum to rely on, thanks for putting in detail all the photos that have mistakes they were my very first attemp on using photoshop i was more interested in actually able to turn a black and white photo into colour so i didn't think of what i was doing. i have since learn a bit more of what i need to do to achieve better results i have much much to learn as regard with photo coloration, photo 1 was a pure guess on colorizing the uniform well i did make some research on google but as i was not sure what type of uniform or regiment my soldier belong i just used any colour i thought was appropriate but after researching in a WW1 forum i now have the right colour for his uniform and know his regiment too, i will be colouring all the photos that is in the gallery again but not until i master some knowledge and undestanding on colorations.

i shall get a couple of books under my belt and do lots of research of what i need to achieve.

i shall return in the forum for more critique

many thanks for your reply

cheers

sergio
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques