RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Critique pls on my new coloration

Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Smile Critique pls on my new coloration

Hello Everyone

Have been away for a while practising my restoration and coloration. I would appreciate some comment on my work pls. I've used a new method to colorize my images so some expert advice would be much appreciated.

http://www.pbase.com/sergio2263/image/81738296

original photo

---------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/sergio2263/image/81738880

colorized by sergio2263

many thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Re: Critique pls on my new coloration

pretty good...one thing though. Based on the shades in the original, I dont think you picked the correct colors for the hat and coat. I would guess that the hat was a dark red and the coat was a yellowish tan color. I could be way off, just guessing based on doing lots of B an W conversions...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 AM

sergio,
You might want to find a different technique. The technique used has altered the underlying image, and not in a good way. The color looks "applied" and artificial.

As for the coloring itself, there is too little attention to detail in her face, in particular, her eyes. They appear to be the same color as her skin. The lip and cheek color do not look natural. Keep in mind that the most important part of an image such as this, is the face and hair. I recommend you put the bulk of your detail work and attention to those areas first.

I have to disagree with rab3rd. There is no way to tell what the original colors were. As a test, desaturate any color chart, and see what happens. If you are looking to be more authentic in your color choices, research clothing for that time period.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up Re: Critique pls on my new coloration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
sergio,
You might want to find a different technique. The technique used has altered the underlying image, and not in a good way. The color looks "applied" and artificial.

As for the coloring itself, there is too little attention to detail in her face, in particular, her eyes. They appear to be the same color as her skin. The lip and cheek color do not look natural. Keep in mind that the most important part of an image such as this, is the face and hair. I recommend you put the bulk of your detail work and attention to those areas first.

I have to disagree with rab3rd. There is no way to tell what the original colors were. As a test, desaturate any color chart, and see what happens. If you are looking to be more authentic in your color choices, research clothing for that time period.
I thank you for your comment when i say new technique i mean i am following a new tutorial compare to the one i followed with my last colorations the photo was the first one i've achieved with this tutorial bare in mind being a complete newbie to photoshop and not knowing what layer mask and plenty other things the author said to do was behond me so whilst following the tutorial i've had to google around for bits and pieces the author said to do i have now understood the tutorial fully and have been able to complete it so now the next step for me is to master the coloration the understanding of applying colors to photos etc i've learned coloring b/w photos is not just that there is more to it almost like an artist with his paint brushes i have much much to improve the new photo was no way my final product it was the start i am very happy with it as for me it is a big ahievement.

Well vikki i appreciated your comment very much and thanking you for taking time posting your reply and i hope you won't mind commenting on any work i post them in the forum.

many thanks

regards

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab3rd View Post
pretty good...one thing though. Based on the shades in the original, I dont think you picked the correct colors for the hat and coat. I would guess that the hat was a dark red and the coat was a yellowish tan color. I could be way off, just guessing based on doing lots of B an W conversions...
Hi rab3rd

thanks for your critique i appreciate it. i too thought it was good for a first try of the new technique of coloration as well as being a very newbie to photoshop i am not sure which one is the hardest to actually understand photoshop and all its tools or my understanding of applying color to black and white photo the latter i believe is both lol well i have much to improve 2 month worth of photoshop won't make me an expert yet the coloring of the hat and clothes is just guess work i am more interesting at the moment to achieve good realistic flesh tones coloring clothes that i can handle later i dont think it would be that hard to do.

cheers

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM

(My original post seems to have been cloned out! LOL) I thought this was a very nice restoration. But the colors looked too saturated. I would reduce the opacity/saturation - imho. Greg.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg13th View Post
(My original post seems to have been cloned out! LOL) I thought this was a very nice restoration. But the colors looked too saturated. I would reduce the opacity/saturation - imho. Greg.
Hi Greg13th

thanks for your comment much appreciated the photo wasn't the final result i've put it in here for critique so whatever i get i shall adjust accordingly until i get the best result as a newbie i am killing 2 birds with one stone learning photoshop aswell as restoration and coloration.

cheers

sergio
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
Hi Greg13th

thanks for your comment much appreciated the photo wasn't the final result i've put it in here for critique so whatever i get i shall adjust accordingly until i get the best result as a newbie i am killing 2 birds with one stone learning photoshop aswell as restoration and coloration.

cheers

sergio
Hi Sergio. I am new on this board and a relative newbie as well. They are doing some amazing things here. Take care. Greg.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques