RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Mr first ever photo retouch critique pls

Old 04-26-2008, 04:13 AM

Talking Mr first ever photo retouch critique pls

Hello All,

My first ever photo retouch. Could I please ask anyone to critique on my work. Good or bad I don't mind, bare in mind I am only asking for critique on my retouch work not on the count as a convict killer.

many thanks

regards

helen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melhow retouchedSMALL.jpg (94.5 KB, 203 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Re: Mr first ever photo retouch critique pls

Hi Sergio,

in my eyes you have overdone a bit, common for newbies

The pictures you uploaded are very small, but from what I can see you made an old woman become a young woman. It might be good to show off what PS can do, but if you want to use this picture for friends and family they will most certainly be a bit surprised

Turn it down a bit, leave some wrinkles where they are and you'll be on the safe side. And I'd not colorize her hair
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 01:53 PM

Helen,

Welcome first of all.

I must say that you took some nasty, cyan, shadow light and turned it into some nice, warm light, very flattering to her.

I must agree with Patrick to an extent about the heavy-handidness but that being said there are some considerations that may change those thoughts. If the client asked for the miraculous removal of 20 years for any reason at all. If not it's a tough call. I shoot mostly travel now but have done a lot of high-end fashion, advertising and model portfolios. I rarely do weddings because I can't take the stress of it but on occasion I will shoot one for a family member or close friend. I always ask the client right up front about what liberties they want me to take as far as removing blemishes, wrinkles and such. They are never offended at the question but it gets a bit touchy if you do it and then show them. With that being said I must say thay your work is beautiful, seamless and for a first timer or not, it's a great example of your ability and what you can offer a client.

Hope that helps,

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: Mr first ever photo retouch critique pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
Hi Sergio,

in my eyes you have overdone a bit, common for newbies

The pictures you uploaded are very small, but from what I can see you made an old woman become a young woman. It might be good to show off what Photoshop can do, but if you want to use this picture for friends and family they will most certainly be a bit surprised

Turn it down a bit, leave some wrinkles where they are and you'll be on the safe side. And I'd not colorize her hair
Thank for your comment, personally for me, I am just practicing with photoshop and i wanted to have a play with photo retouching and see how i get on with it, it's just something to do as a new hobby. I wouldn't bother with friends or family and certainly not doing it as a business. So i just pick photos from forums and practice with it and what better place to come for critique.

thanks for your comment

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
Helen,

Welcome first of all.

I must say that you took some nasty, cyan, shadow light and turned it into some nice, warm light, very flattering to her.

I must agree with Patrick to an extent about the heavy-handidness but that being said there are some considerations that may change those thoughts. If the client asked for the miraculous removal of 20 years for any reason at all. If not it's a tough call. I shoot mostly travel now but have done a lot of high-end fashion, advertising and model portfolios. I rarely do weddings because I can't take the stress of it but on occasion I will shoot one for a family member or close friend. I always ask the client right up front about what liberties they want me to take as far as removing blemishes, wrinkles and such. They are never offended at the question but it gets a bit touchy if you do it and then show them. With that being said I must say thay your work is beautiful, seamless and for a first timer or not, it's a great example of your ability and what you can offer a client.

Hope that helps,

c
Hi c,

Thanks very much for your nice comment, as mentioned I am just having a play with photo retouching. I have shy away from it until today, this photo is my first ever, i decide to have a go, just for playing, i feel photo retouching is very stressfull, some people want blemishes or spots left some don't, so i don't intend to go down that road, i am trying my hand at photo colourization and restoring which both i am still learning and need to improve.

I must say your thread surprised me, i was expecting more of crucifying comments from people especially with a forum such as this. There are a lot of Pros about and newbie doesn't fair very well.

thanks again for your comment

regards

helen

Last edited by sergio2263; 04-26-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Hi Helen

Firstly, welcome!

Having read everyone else's comments, and understanding what you're trying to accomplish, I think that you've done a fantastic job! You really did a great job colour correcting the image. It can take people a long time to learn how to do that properly, so good for you. Keep in mind the defining characteristics that makes a person themselves, such as wrinkles. Even when we're doing a beauty retouch, it doesn't hurt to leave some of these defining characteristics! Good work!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Hi Helen

Firstly, welcome!

Having read everyone else's comments, and understanding what you're trying to accomplish, I think that you've done a fantastic job! You really did a great job colour correcting the image. It can take people a long time to learn how to do that properly, so good for you. Keep in mind the defining characteristics that makes a person themselves, such as wrinkles. Even when we're doing a beauty retouch, it doesn't hurt to leave some of these defining characteristics! Good work!!
Hi Nikolas,

Thank you very much for your nice comment. I am somewhat still surprised by the comments I had so far. Since I've retouched the above photo, I can see now how I've been very heavy handed with it, this job need careful handling, the good thing is I have plenty of times to practice and the only way to learn is to post in this forum for critique. I am enjoying this hobby immensely so far.

Thanks

Best regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Hello Helen,
I read all the other posts as well as yours. Everyone seems to agree about a bit too much removal. Hopefully, you saved all the intermediate layers and can bring back a little bit of the "maturity" that wrinkles give us ! Your overall skin smoothing was very nice though and you should feel good about that.

I also tried to look closer to see what other items you addressed in the retouch. But, the image size makes it a bit hard.
Anyway, just a few other critiques....

One very normal item to do is to remove distractions from the photo. So, you may practice removing the other person to her left.
Another is to slightly enhance the eyes, brows, etc. I could not tell that any were done. You wouldn't want to do too much on an older woman, just a smidge.
I think you left the skin tones about right for a woman of her age. Good job there.
The lighting is certainly sufficient. However, for fun you could experiment a bit there.
And of course, a final sharpening. I could not see where there had been a final sharpening.

Great work and keep posting more !
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Hello Helen,
I read all the other posts as well as yours. Everyone seems to agree about a bit too much removal. Hopefully, you saved all the intermediate layers and can bring back a little bit of the "maturity" that wrinkles give us ! Your overall skin smoothing was very nice though and you should feel good about that.

I also tried to look closer to see what other items you addressed in the retouch. But, the image size makes it a bit hard.
Anyway, just a few other critiques....

One very normal item to do is to remove distractions from the photo. So, you may practice removing the other person to her left.
Another is to slightly enhance the eyes, brows, etc. I could not tell that any were done. You wouldn't want to do too much on an older woman, just a smidge.
I think you left the skin tones about right for a woman of her age. Good job there.
The lighting is certainly sufficient. However, for fun you could experiment a bit there.
And of course, a final sharpening. I could not see where there had been a final sharpening.

Great work and keep posting more !
Hi TommyO

Thank you very much for your comment, much appreciated. I've only took up photo retouch last week thereabout, I was in the middle of practicing a new modified way to colorizing black and white photo using the worth1000 Primary Colourizing and thought of laying off for a bit and decided to take a photo and do something completely different like retouch, to get my mind off the colorizing practice and there i came with the results of the retouched photo. I am still amazed with the comments I've received. I see that i was too heavy with the retouch, with no one to guide me, it was a matter of dive in and worry later. I've enjoyed the retouched enormously and i've decided that i shall keep learning. I will re-do the lady's photo again, In meantime I am back to Primary Colourizing. Watch out though I will post more retouched photos for all you Pros critiques.

thanks

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques