RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Thoughts?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Re: Thoughts?

Blindv, I've seen the train "toy effect" in the past with the use of a lensbaby. Is that what you used. I once had a link for a tutorial on this effect but now can't find it when I want it. You may have a canon XT, but you are definitly more than a novice. I like all of your shots except the tree....too much fringe white around the outside of the tree left after the masking (MO), but then again...trees like hair are hard to mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the reply Sky,

I agree, the tree is pretty weak and the more I think about it the more i'm considering scrapping it - or maybe shoot for a different effect.

Unfortunantly i'm currently using the kit lens that came with the camera (18-55mm) - so I'm relagated to creating most of my depth of field and selective focus in post with Photoshop. I used a layer with a gaussian blur and then used a mask with varing levels of opaicity. I also used multiple additional layers and modes to create the shading and contrast that I wanted. I'm not sure if there is actually a way to shoot this type of effect straight from the camera -- I'm obviously still learning

Thanks again!

Last edited by Blindv; 06-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 07:07 PM

I believe there is...but like you, I've got to spend more time with my camera and the basics of shooting. I spend too much time improving my photoshop and not enough time improving my shooting and learning good lighting techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Blindv,
Your image style is also very popular in marketing, to bring attention to the product while leaving the image visually appealing.

You seem to have worked hard on your workflow and everyone seems to like the results. I would not change much. If your images are intended for non-commercial purposes, then I agree with adding some grain or other effects here and there. If for commercial, then of course it depends on the client. But, most prefer a clean crisp look.

Good luck and keep posting !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the kind words. These images are all for nothing more then practice I suppose, but I do personally prefer the "clean" and mute look, not really sure why

At anyrate, here a few more recent shots that I’ve snagged. Thanks for your thoughts and eyes!

Illuminant

Sleeping Beauty

Death From Above

Mi Amor

-V
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques