Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Need Honest Critiques Please

Old 06-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Re: Need Honest Critiques Please

Here are the origionals, cropped but otherwise unedited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 034-Edit-2.jpg (96.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 032-Edit-2.jpg (96.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 040-Edit-2.jpg (92.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM

I think the originals look pretty flat so it would be hard to give them good contrast. I would suggest shooting them with some good natural daylight and maybe using a reflector or large white board to bounce some light back onto
the model.
I agree 1&2 have a nicer feel to them. These sort of shot could work well as high-key Black & whites with some grain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 AM

As far as cropping;composition I'd say the 3rd is the best. However, her left eye kind of bugs me as it is looking off. The pose in the other one laying down is better, but compositionally leads the eye straight to the cleavage. Not that we don't all like cleavage but I think some D&B to help move the viewers eye to the face would make a big improvement. The other upright one just leaves me wondering what she's looking at. Rule are meant to be broken but aside from ring flash, straight ahead, on camera flash is alway the most unflattering light. Amongst other things it makes her eye makeup harsh looking. Aim your flash at a wall or ceiling then do your lighting in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Ok, this is based on your originating post, seeing that the originals are in a different order. Please keep in mind as always, only an opinion.

The first to me seems to be blown out a bit, even if you factor in high key. A Lower key may have been better to bring out subtle and softer shadow detail. High noise and low resolution of the original make correction difficult. The arm placement could be better to lessen the perspective in relation to the camera. As far as the composition, I think a little less crop on the viewers left could have been an improvement.

The second image may have a bit of distortion due to camera placement (distance), exaggerating facial features nearest to the camera. Really difficult to say for sure not seeing a better facial close-up.
The contrast of the eye make-up in relation to the iris could be better to separate the two. Composition wise, it might have been better to start off with a little more image, north and south. Usually when someone has a round face you can compensate with a more retangular image to create a length illusion.

The third image the head doesn't appear to be relaxed. Again, I think the crop could have been less, especially the viewers left and bottom. The direction of the eyes does not seem to be in the best direction for the models pose. Having the model straighten her fingers or a few would have been better. The overall image is a bit dark while the eye whites too white.

I understand that sometimes a re-shoot is not possible and the only image available is what you have. That said, my comments are assuming this is not the case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 07:26 PM

Not ignoring you all I'm just trying to digest everything your suggesting. I'll post at least one new try in the next day or so. Lqqker, thank you for the detailed critique, lot's to think about.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques