RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

retouch critique

Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM

retouch critique

I would appreciate your thoughts on this retouch. Photo courtesy of Christian Wright.

Steps were minor cloning/healing a few hairs. D&B on a softlight layer with 50% gray. Whiten teeth & eyes a little, small sharpening to iris.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.

Larger sizes can be viewed at http://ImageEvent.com/dennisthompsonphotography/cwphoto

Photo by Christian Wright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp_cw061008_orig.jpg (99.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg rp_cw061008_ret.jpg (98.7 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by D Thompson; 06-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM

Re: retouch critique

The editing under the eye is a little week. You can tell you have edited under the eye. Maybe work on that a bit more
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM

I'm with Matthew. The bride is obviously not in her 20s and you've taken away much of her "maturity". Might be okay for a fashion shot, but if this is for keepsake, it would look fake to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 AM

Just wondering if you talked to the client about the extent of the retouch? Swampy is right, she looks like she is 20. Is that what she wanted?

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMarshall View Post
The editing under the eye is a little week. You can tell you have edited under the eye. Maybe work on that a bit more
Thanks Matthew, but when you say weak - is that it's done badly or overdone? A little more d&b to even things out? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I'm with Matthew. The bride is obviously not in her 20s and you've taken away much of her "maturity". Might be okay for a fashion shot, but if this is for keepsake, it would look fake to me.
Swampy - thanks for taking time to look. I don't really know how old she is, I'm guessing late 20's, early 30's. Never been real good at guessing ages tho. I didn't notice as much "baggage" around her eyes in the other shots I saw, tho they weren't as up close either. I thought the lighting exaggerated the lines and made her look older or tired. I probably did go a little far. Later tonight I may mask that d&b layer and bring it back a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktg222 View Post
Just wondering if you talked to the client about the extent of the retouch? Swampy is right, she looks like she is 20. Is that what she wanted?

k
The photographer liked the retouch and seemed pleased with it. Not sure if the bride has seen it yet or not. Thanks for responding.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Dennis,
I would agree to slightly bring back a few lines around the eyes.

Also, to me, by removing much of her dimples and muscle tone around the mouth, her right cheek looks fatter. I prefer bringing those back a tad also. They are also part of her character, as well as maturity.

And... while you're at it... if you're going to remove all her freckles, then you may as well get the one just above the dress on her right "chest area". It was not distracting until all the other freckles were gone.

Otherwise, very nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Dennis,
I would agree to slightly bring back a few lines around the eyes.

Also, to me, by removing much of her dimples and muscle tone around the mouth, her right cheek looks fatter. I prefer bringing those back a tad also. They are also part of her character, as well as maturity.

And... while you're at it... if you're going to remove all her freckles, then you may as well get the one just above the dress on her right "chest area". It was not distracting until all the other freckles were gone.

Otherwise, very nice.
Thank you Tommy, I appreciate your comments. I'm posting another where I've brought back a little of her character. As for the freckles, I had left some of the smaller ones, but now realize they don't show up very well except on the original size. I did get rid of the one you're talking about tho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Here is an update where hopefully I've brought back a little of her character.

The larger size can be viewed as Retouch_02 here http://ImageEvent.com/dennisthompsonphotography/cwphoto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cw_portrait_retouched_02.jpg (98.7 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 08:42 PM

I think that one is fine. Let's hope she likes it also. As always, keep the others just in case. I find it hard to predict what a client will like, especially for an event such as this !
Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
I think that one is fine. Let's hope she likes it also. As always, keep the others just in case. I find it hard to predict what a client will like, especially for an event such as this !
Good luck !
Thanks Tommy. The photog was happy with both. Yeah, I've kept the others, I'm kinda anal about my backups and files. Thanks again for your comments.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques