Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Bad 'hat'

Old 09-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Re: Bad 'hat'

Me thinks you have a very good conceptual eye and are very adept with your creative tools... nice job!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Canna W View Post
You say you should have removed the shadows on the left ear, but I don't see any. Did you mean the criss cross shadows on the right ear?

Since reading what you wrote I have been looking at lots of photographs of faces, and trying to see "shadows based on the angle of the light in the eyes"... Wow, I'm afraid that is beyond me...
There are a series of dark stripes going sideways across the left ear. I assumed that they were shadows, but maybe they were there on the original pig. In that case, ignore my comment :-)

If you can see both eyes and there is a clear highlight, it is not too hard to estimate where the main light source is located in relation to the subject (left, right, up, down). Then, if you imagine a straight line from that light source to the subject, you can extend that line past anything that may block the light (like your bridge hat) and estimate where the shadows should naturally fall.

Nice work, and the pig is really cute.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Thank you!

Re ears - I think I muddled up my left with the pigs left! Yes, I see the stripy shadow ear. I could do a flip with the good ear and replace it, but it won't be easy - I am very fond of those shadows!

Re eyes - thank you for that explanation. I will certainly try in future to see if I can learn how to use that as a guide. I need to get some practice.

Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques