RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Bad 'hat'

Old 09-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Bad 'hat'

Hi,

I have been using Photoshop for a while now, but am still very much at the newbie stage.

I would be very grateful for some help with this image. Basically it's a manipulation of a pig, with a displacement map on top of it (the pattern), and the addition of a 'hat' (which is really a bridge, taken from another image.....)

I am very disappointed with how fake the 'hat' looks, both fake in it's appearance (it looks like it has been cut out of paper), and fake in how it sits on top of the pig's head. Probably a lot due to the crudeness of my shadow!

I just couldn't work out how to do it better though! I've no longer got the psd file to play around with, but would still very much like some advice about where I went wrong...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miss-Piggy-TINY.jpg (81.2 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Patron

Re: Bad 'hat'

I think the Pig is rather cute!

The red triangular thingys seem to have no purpose and distract from the image. To me, the hat looks more like a "Tiara" because it does not go all the way around like a hat, cap or crown.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Light and shadows.
You would not have shadows like that unless the hat was sitting about an inch in front of the pigs head. There is no shadowing on the right side of the hat to match the pigs heads'/ears' shadows. The hat would likely be more curved, as the pigs head is narrow, between his ears.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 AM

Many thanks indeed for your suggestions!

Sorry this is such a crude image - I've had to use basic stock.

I've altered the shadows, altered the shape of the hat, tried to suggest a back and a front rather than just a front (a crown rather than a tiara.) I've also given the 'hat' some texture layers, so it looks less bridge-like.

I'm sure it still has many faults.

What this has taught me is that a) I don't really understand how shadows work - a real negative for someone who likes doing manips and b) what I tried to do was really quite a sophisticated manoeuvre - and it needed to be done by someone with a lot more experience than me! Hopefully this 2nd attempt puts the hat a bit more firmly on the pig's head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pig-hat-5.jpg (87.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 AM

OlBaldy - yes, I agree, the flaps on the hat don't help. I've left them though as they seem part of the challenge of me trying to get this 'hat' right....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 AM
Patron

A quick (very rough) example on the orig

selective color.. bridge/hat
cut bridge/hat
pasted, repositioned to original spot
pasted again moved this level below the previous
liquify to shape top backside (this was my sloppy quick part) Free transform to lower/side shape
improved shadows a bit

I figured the "Hat" was slotted to fit over the ears to keep it from falling off!
I like your project and think it will come out fine with a little patience and looking at details!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitledA.jpg (194.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM

My try. I did not move anything except the shadows based on the angle of the light in the pig's eyes. Added texture and dimension to the "flaps". The shadows on the left ear should be removed, but I was too lazy :-) and it does not affect the 3D effect of the "hat".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fix-Miss-Piggy-TINY-800.jpg (93.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 10:39 AM

OlBaldy...
---------
I love what you did to the hat - you have given it such depth on top!

One query...
I understand that you used liquify to shape the top bar of the back of the hat, but don't understand what you mean by "Free transform to lower/side shape". Not sure what you did there, I use the transform tools a lot, but don't quite understand what you did there.

You've inspired me to use selective colour to select the hat. What a good idea. I will have a go at rectifying my mistake on the jpeg version.

Veryweird..
-----------

What a brilliant exercise in showing the difference that shadows make! Thank you!

You say you should have removed the shadows on the left ear, but I don't see any. Did you mean the criss cross shadows on the right ear?

Since reading what you wrote I have been looking at lots of photographs of faces, and trying to see "shadows based on the angle of the light in the eyes"... Wow, I'm afraid that is beyond me...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna W View Post
OlBaldy...
---------<clip>One query...
I understand that you used liquify to shape the top bar of the back of the hat, but don't understand what you mean by "Free transform to lower/side shape". Not sure what you did there, I use the transform tools a lot, but don't quite understand what you did there.
<clip>.
Hee,hee, just meant to say made it fit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Okay OlBaldy, thanks for that

Here is my last effort, combining lots of things that you both have given me.

Veryweird - I just copied your shadows exactly....and your idea of adding depth to the flaps on the hat.

I'm really pleased with the difference - thank you both so much for your trouble.

I'm going to replace my first image with this edit, and the hat will no longer drive me nuts every time I see it!

Thank you both again, very much indeed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiny-pig-5.jpg (95.8 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques