RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

My first attempt on "real" retouching

Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM

My first attempt on "real" retouching

This is my first time trying my hands on some "real" retouching using all the techniques and info provided on this forum. Please tear me apart! Honest C & C please....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3030_Before.jpg (74.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg AFTER.jpg (87.6 KB, 80 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Re: My first attempt on "real" retouching

Desaturation looks fine. Gives it a nice moody edge. I would sharpen the eyes a touch though to make them pop. You may want to explore levels of desaturation or overlaying different color casts as well for a project like this. You don't want the image to look grey and flat. Maybe leave the eyes and lips more vibrant or overlay a blue color cast to match the product packaging.

The hair fixes on the left and right are obvious. I can easily see edges where you cloned or painted. Hair is difficult and there's no straightforward method that suits every situation. I would suggest cloning with the blend mode set to lighten on a lower opacity brush. Should do the trick.

The masking on the product looks OK, but from a design standpoint it's very odd that it's just floating in the air. I would suggest two things - either tease it so it's actually just off the side of the picture some or use a semi-transparent graphic behind it to anchor it, a white swoop or something.

By the way, who's the model?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madclark View Post
Desaturation looks fine. Gives it a nice moody edge. I would sharpen the eyes a touch though to make them pop. You may want to explore levels of desaturation or overlaying different color casts as well for a project like this. You don't want the image to look grey and flat. Maybe leave the eyes and lips more vibrant or overlay a blue color cast to match the product packaging.

The hair fixes on the left and right are obvious. I can easily see edges where you cloned or painted. Hair is difficult and there's no straightforward method that suits every situation. I would suggest cloning with the blend mode set to lighten on a lower opacity brush. Should do the trick.

The masking on the product looks OK, but from a design standpoint it's very odd that it's just floating in the air. I would suggest two things - either tease it so it's actually just off the side of the picture some or use a semi-transparent graphic behind it to anchor it, a white swoop or something.

By the way, who's the model?
Thanks for the constructive criticism. Your suggestions are well noted. You’ve been very helpful.
Regarding the color, I actually tried giving it a blue-sh tint by filling a blank layer with light blue and setting the blend mode to color but I didn’t like the way it looked.

The model is a friend of mine. I also shot the product and edited it before using it for the comp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Maybe the blue overlay is adding to the grey feeling. Remember, blue and orange, being opposite on the color wheel can neutralize each other. I would try using a hue layer and selectively desaturating reds.

Handsome guy. Is he on Model Mayhem? My profile is here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 05:25 PM

I would agree w/ Madclark. The hair may be a little smooth on the sides. The small hairs on his left shoulder & neck area need cleaning up. Highlights may be just a tad too light. A final sharpening may be in order. Otherwise, very good for your first go at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM

No he's not on MM. He used to model years ago. He's over 40 y/o with lots of kids...he's aged well and I think he still has it in him. I coerce him to model whenever they come over to visit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques