RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Retouch of my two children

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Retouch of my two children

This is an image of my son Kyle, and our precious tabby, Veda. Kyle is our only child and he treats at Veda like she's his human sister. It's so touching watching them play daily. Even when my son is sick, she will leap up onto his bed and rest across the top of his head, priceless sight, I have to capture that! Anyway, the two of them were near our patio windows playing, and I felt inspired to capture the innocence of that moment. So I pulled out my trusty Nikon D80, with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF attached, and setup the shot using these values: Since we were indoors, and not wanting to rely on my flash for light, because of the beautiful natural light, I chose ISO 1000 w high ISO NR turned on set to F/2.2 @ 1/2000.
Shot about 25 or so images, and chose this one because it spoke to my heart the loudest. Pushed the image into PHS CS3, played around with some global colors, and chose the blue hue, because for one I want to get around to enhancing my images with color, and saturation, and two, I believe it adds emotional depth, overall. Thank you for viewing my work.

Nikon D80/ AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G/ Sigma DG 28-70mm
1:2.8-4/ Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor/ Nikon SB600 Flash
"Truth is the light illuminating my images"

"Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly." - Robert Schuller
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After n Before.jpg (59.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg VEDA-Color-Enhanced.jpg (28.8 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Re: Retouch of my two children

Welcome beezy40.
I like the shot and the color shift.
Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 PM

Hi beezy40,

I really like the composition of the photo. Plus the moment you captured is usually just a fleeting glimpse of childhood play. Nice Job!

I also like the color shift - for the most part. All of the elements have taken on an ethereal feel, which was your goal, however I feel that the skin tones have changed too much on your son's face and arm. He looks cold. The warmth of tone on the original was a little too much as well, but I think both could be met in the middle to achieve a warmer, but not over done skin tone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 05:57 AM

Chilihook, my focus was on contrast, and color, using the 2 to draw the eye toward my sons face. I could have warmed up the tone I designated for skintone, but I was in the moment when I was creating this, and hindsight is always 20/20. When I create another image, I will keep this in mind. Thank you so much for your time, and comment.

Nikon D80/ AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G/ Sigma DG 28-70mm
1:2.8-4/ Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor/ Nikon SB600 Flash
"Truth is the light illuminating my images"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques