Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Fade 2 Blaque

Old 10-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Re: Fade 2 Blaque

I like the honesty of the result - but it doesn't say what it's being honest about.

I would be tempted to place a very out of focus significant other (or thing) in the white space. Just to give this more context. This could be baloney.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Hi Beezy,
When you take a close up portrait of someone (in this case you), the idea is to only have the subjects face as the centre point of focus. In your photo the blury object over your right shoulder and large amount of white in the same area is distracting the viewers attention from the main subject, you.

All I've done is clone out that object and used D&B to create a spotlight effect to bring all the attention back to you. I also did a USM 20,55,0.
I noticed from previous posts that you are learning about depth of field, here's a couple of suggestions that might help you out also. Do a 'Google' search on 'circle of confusion' and 'portraits_ 1:1 lens ratio' and 'portraits_ light ratio's'. You are obviously keen to learn, keep asking the questions and there's plenty of talented people in this forum only to willing to help you out.

Hope this helps,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fade to Blaque2 copy (Large).jpg (71.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by bazza64; 10-19-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 AM

bazza64, Qixil Thank you both for your critique, and concern. I agree totally with you bazza64, distractions are clear as day within my image here. I shot this totally in the moment, which is no excuse for the choices I made, but my focus was just getting a clear shot of myself. I was not in a controlled enviroment for one, and it was 2am in the morning, second. I was not thinking about setup at the time, but I now know that in the future, I should think in steps, first. Always ask myself the important questions first, before I pull out my DSLR. What is that I wish to convey? How do I go about conveying it? Which tools do I need to get my vision out my head?, and on to some tangible medium for the world to see? Again, the world doesn't have time for excuses, and you shouldn't have to explain your thought processes when you create something for the world to see. Clearly, I didn't think this image totally through. But I really get it now, and I truely appreciate all who critiqued my image. I will look more into the dynamics of what ever I post from now on, in hopes that you will see what I didn't see.

Nikon D80/ AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G/ Sigma DG 28-70mm
1:2.8-4/ Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor/ Nikon SB600 Flash
"Truth is the light illuminating my images"

"Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly." - Robert Schuller
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques