RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Fade 2 Blaque

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 PM

Fade 2 Blaque

I shot this self portrait with my nikon shutter remote triggering my D80 with a
Nikon 50 mm f/1.4D AF lens attached using F/1.8 @ 1/500s using ISO400. Performed my BW conversion in camera, and did some additional post in Nikon Capture NX2, LMR 2.0, and some surgical tweaks in Photoshop using layers. My agenda was to create a image that was dynamic, and dimensional, that takes the eye directly through a maze of textures( Hair, Skin, Blurs, Sharpening ) shades of black/white, directly to the eyes, which I sharpened the most. Thanks for looking.

Nikon D80/ AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G/ Sigma DG 28-70mm
1:2.8-4/ Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor/ Nikon SB600 Flash
"Truth is the light illuminating my images"

"Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly." - Robert Schuller
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fade to Blaque_.jpg (50.2 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM

Fade 2 Blah!!!

Now that I have had some time away from this image, and had a chance to view it with fresh eyes, I'm really not feeling anything from it. I mean, it's so bland without any emotion, what so ever. I must have been intoxicated when I posted this, my apologies for wasting your time.

"Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing flawlessly." - Robert Schuller
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." - Ansel Adams
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2008, 04:06 AM
Patron

Re: Fade 2 Blaque

Breezy, I think your picture is great and has a lot of potential..
I think the dynamics of your vision were off because of the light background which draws the eyes..
Fresh eyes are a good thing, but for looking for alternative solutions to achieve your vision not abandoning it.. You seem to have a keen sense about what you want to achieve so when you finally get it .. it will be an Eureka moment and because of all the little set backs your feeling of accomplishment will be even greater. So, hang in there and keep Practicing cubed.. just like you are now!

Just an idea for your "Fade 2 Blaque" pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vignette-Blurred.jpg (108.0 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I think the dynamics of your vision were off because of the light background which draws the eyes..
Fresh eyes are a good thing, but for looking for alternative solutions to achieve your vision not abandoning it.
OLBaldy, you really are too kind, and I really do appreciate your honesty. I really love this edit, it compliments my title, perfectly. I am so hard on myself, which can be good, and bad, in this case, you were correct, I gave up the ship too quick. I should have had a creative thought process like yours where, you darken the entire image to a certain degree, and have the eyes completely lit. That was a brilliant choice IMHO!!! Thanks for the encouragement because, I'm my only support system here in Mi, and it's refreshing to have creative individuals such as yourself, who care. I am working on my creative balance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 AM

I liked your photo. I have a D80 also. When I saw your post, I thought...heck, I should try something like this also. I'm only a hobbiest, but the only thing that I would mention is that there are a few spots that I think are too blurred or soft for mood of the photo. Possibly those were photoshop tweaks...the tip of the nose, and the top edge of it, to my right..the area above the mustash...and maybe that shoulder on my left.

The title is great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM

dmrdm, thanks for your reply. The Nikon D80 settings I chose for this shot actually made
some of my feature, soft. I tried really hard to correct this in PHS CS3, but from your comment, I was a little shy in the effort to correct this. But I still appreciate your thought process on my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Beezy, don't be shy and too hard on yourself, after all: we have to start somewhere..and this is a perfect place for it :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Thank you so much amica999 for the sober reminder, I'm just so passionate about anything that I personally put my stamp of approval on. I just want stay above the negativity as much as I can, because the world is way more sophisticated, and since I would like to become a fulltime wedding/ event photographer by 2010, it is a must that I learn from my mistakes now. You are correct about one thing, we do have to start somewhere, maybe I should practice patience as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 12:24 PM

There is nothing basically wrong with your picture.

It is mostly the direction and focus of the light, which is both a little too high key and spread out, especially over the right shoulder. This is making the image look soft and directs the eye to your shoulder, thus weakening the portrait. I made a few small changes in lighting to shift the visual focus to your face and left ear (with stud). See what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fade-to-Blaque_03.jpg (95.0 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Verywierd, I can see your point. What I am learning, very quickly might I add, is that
each image has different dynamics, and those dynamics change depending on what mood you, as the creator/artist are in within the moment. I did not see this dynamic when I was in my creative flow piecing this together, as a matter of fact, I felt weighted down creatively, because I had spent so much time in front of the monitor creating this. Your perspective is really refreshing, and it has added life to my work here. Thanks for renewing my creative spirit, maybe I am too hard on myself. It is so important that I stay as honest as possible about what I present to the world, because the world is unforgiving, and can really be cruel if you produce subpar images. Everyones patience is shot, which I equate to myself producing more dynamic images that provoke thought, and emotion. Thank you for your input. It really means more to me than you'll ever know.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques