RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Thank you Godmother!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 AM

Re: Thank you Godmother!

Not as bad as other plastic things I come across... I think the problem with "dollish" look lies mostly in the eyes: you basically removed the lower eye-lids, which took away half of her facial character and expression. Bring those back and see the difference. I would also remove the hair-band behind her right ear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Yes lower part of the eyes very important, its one of the things you can tell straight away in people who are basically rubbish - they try and remove all definition under the eye, and it gives that unhealthy doll look. Its like people are not LOOKING at what they are doing, and to be honest US vogue these days is full of such tragedies. That along with skin texture and smoothing tones in an un-natural way, this is not car retouching.

As a third retouch it shows potential though, straighten her nose, bring back some life under her eyes, and get rid of any high pass blurring that may have gone on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Alright, those were some harsh words, but I guess you know better. I took all your advice and re-retouched The Doll. Here is attempt No. 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_02_new.jpg (98.4 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM

You are good!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM

blaskica,
After so few retouches, there is no doubt that you have good potential and a very good eye for this kind of work. Please keep it up. In not so many years we will asking for your opinion.

Regarding the retouch, you are headed in the right direction. I think it's close enough to move on to another. Opinions at this point will vary a lot. The model has such an unusual facial shape (deep eyes, big forehead, tight skin) that it tends to throw off the viewer anyway.

Looking forward to your next post !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 01:59 AM

Ok. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think everybody who begins needs them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Oh - and the where the flesh highlights under the bottom lip, take that back. And the sharp highs under her still slighlty squint nose. Still not that happy about under the eye, too unatural, its got to look like theres some chance, some slim chance that she is real flesh and blood. Theres also still some sort of fuzzy cheezy, blur a soft light, soft focus thing going on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 01:30 PM

As blaskica, I also found this image to be a good piece to practice on. This is my take on it! It's fun to see in how many differet directions and ways a retouch can go. My take is a bit(!) different than blaskicas. What do you think? Does it work for you or have I've gone to far with the shaping of her face? All comments are welcome.

PS. Sorry blaskica for hijacking your thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fore.jpg (76.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg efter.jpg (79.2 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 PM

I don't mind at all. It is very interesting to see how you took the same image and made something different. She has very interesting face, almost weird. Don't you think? I like that you kept closer to the original, and I don't think you went too far. The only thing I am not so keen about is her right eyebrow. It is too short now, sorry.
I really like what you did with her irises though. They pop now, like gems.
Great job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 AM

Yes! She most definitely has an odd face. But I like it. Think she's really attractive! I totaly agree with your comment on the brow. Will fix that right away! Thanks for your time! And hey! Totaly forgot to give my opinions on your image. For a third retouch ever, this is totaly amazing! I think the second version looks much greater than the first. Agree with previous comments that you definitely should keep some of her "flaws" under her eyes. Also like that you've removed her clothing and the thing in her hair (behind her left ear). Totaly missed that in my version.

/Karl
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques