Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Looking for some pointers

Old 11-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Looking for some pointers

Hello! I was recently a part of a non-professional photoshoot for a friend of ours. My husband took the photos, and I touched them up in photoshop. Our friend was looking for portraits of herself.

I know for a fact that our lighting was atrocious, so if the pictures have some grain going on, that's partly why. Other than that, I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

I've attached some links to the photos. I'm anxious to hear what you think - where I could improve, what doesn't look right, etc.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Re: Looking for some pointers

Gruesomely delightful!

I would suggest three things:

In the bathoom picture, I would add a Hue/Saturation layer and reduce overall saturation and apply it to the white parts of the bathtub and tile to make the lighting conditions match. You have blue cast on some and pink on other parts, but this would help them match.

In the gun picture, I would work to make the smoke from the gun a little more realistic. There should be some tutorials out there to help. And the angle of the smoke seems like it should be coming out of the barrel to the left, not the right, initially.

Finally, I would use an Amy Dresser technique that she uses as a final step in her retouching. You create a new layer where you use the Select Color function and overlay white. Here's a link to how to do it. I think it would give the pictures that final dreamy touch to the scene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM

And I'm sure you realize this but if you use a lower initial ISO you'll have a much smoother image without the graininess in these shots. With a tripod, should be easy since these are staged stills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 AM

It's cool images
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2008, 08:53 AM

I thought the pictures were awesome.
I just "looked", I didn't get down nitty gritty. If I saw these pics in a magazine flipping pages it would make me stop and look. I liked the rough look of the images. To me the theme warranted the grainy look. They're not "glamour" photos.
Good job!

I'll look later when I have more time, but they were very fun to look at!

update: Ok, had a chance to look more. I still enjoy the macabre comedy of these pictures.

-The tile is quite washed out, probably a better solution for the photography end. Or a mask.
-The bitmapping for the blood while pretty good just doesn't "look" like blood. It's flat.

-Lighten the smoke from the barrel. I understand the emphasis, but really gun smoke is more of a grey color. I think you could get away with some dark grey smoke. Or just try it out, if it makes the concept look off, then stick with the black. Still a great picture.

Overall I REALLY like these pictures and think you did quite a good job with them!

Last edited by Rohape; 11-15-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques