Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

serious glamour retouch

Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM
serious glamour retouch

I've been using Photoshop for over six years. Only in past two years have I taken an interest in retouching. I want to eventually work for Vogue or a similar magazine as a retoucher, so I'd really appreciate in-depth criticism.

I know there are some things that need to be improved but I don't know exactly how to go about it. Like with the hands, they don't look quite right. (Oh and I did just notice some of the stray hairs. I'll fix that later.)

Before and After:
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Re: serious glamour retouch

hi kt
first - my english is not very god... but anyway...
it looks very fine the work you done...
one of the things i found was thar the juwelri looks better in the original more details...
and i think i would have soften her skin (only skin) a littel more soft glamour like...
fin work with the cloths...
keep up the spirit
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Her skin is much too blotchy, it needs a fair amount of D&B. It also needs to be color corrected. Some parts are too red while others are too orange. Use an adjustment layer and isolate areas. The makeup smeared under her eyes should be cleaned up. She has quite a bit of baby hairs on her face and I would remove most of them. The image in general needs to be punched up. Maybe add some highlights or shadows to her face to give more shape. There's a lot you could do with that jewelry, I would make sure your highlights aren't completely blown out and pull some of the mud out of the darks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM

It can often be very hard to critique an image. Yours falls into that category. I may just start by offering this:
- it gives the appearance that you may not have followed a structured workflow. Certain items are retouched, while adjacent problems are not.
- many of the items retouched fall into the bucket of fairly obvious, i.e. reshaping, heavy skin folds, overall color/tone; it would nice if some of the more complicated items were approached, i.e. skin texture, skin tonality, etc.

It just seems rather random as to what was done. So, I will just leave it at that.

Good luck with it and certainly keep posting.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques