RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

How's This (first post)?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 PM

How's This (first post)?

Hey there,

I've never posted here before, but have read many interesting threads so far. So many talented people here, it's inspiring!

Anyhow, I'd like a critique about this portrait I shot and fiddled with in post. The main thing I wanted to do was diminish the shadow beside the nose. The muted color is intentional...Despite the blown highlight on the ear-ring, are there things I'm not seeing?

Cheers!

J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20070922-_MG_9789.jpg (69.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20070922-_MG_9789-2.jpg (81.6 KB, 152 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Patron

Re: How's This (first post)?

jbedford, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope I do not scare you away! I'm only trying to help!

Very Pretty Lady!

Generally speaking, I think your retouch looks a little contrasty and pale..BUT... you stated that was the look you were going for...So, evidently you achieved the look you were after..
The things I see that you missed.. upper lip shadow, the shadow beside the nose was not blended in, Nose has harsh lines at top and above tip, some highlights were a little hot, The whites of the eyes look mighty white, some skin creases were darkened(neck)

A single light from the bottom with no fill gives very dramatic poses and do not lend themselves to a beauty shot.. it is sort of akin to holding a flashlight under your chin on Halloween to look scary.

A simple large white card (could even have been held by the model) as a fill source reflecting the main light (which I feel should have been much higher) would have helped with the shadows beside the nose and over the lips. Watch your lighting very closely and with good lighting procedures you will have a lot less post work to do.. Not knowing your Photography skill level I hesitate to mention some things..

I did some work on your photo because it is easier for me to show than tell.. Almost all the work I did on your picture was done with the Patch tool.. I did try to balance the lighting with Photoshops Filter>Render>Lighting Effects.. I painted out the shadows over the lips on a New Lighten Layer, sampling skin close to the shadows... also painted some of the highlights over the eyebrows, nose, and a couple other places with a Darken New Layer,.. again sampling from nearby skin.

Hope you are not toooo mad...
I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you..
Laters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20070922-_MG_9789A.jpg (93.9 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Very cool...I appreciate the feedback (and compliment to my girlfriend)!

First, the lighting was beyond my control...Mid afternoon light coming through a doorway, bouncing madly off a shiny wood floor (acting as the main light)...Hence the shadows above the lip and beside the nose. I'm totally with you on having the white card to fill in the shadows...had I planned the shot, I most likely would have had one.

That said, I love how you blended the shadow beside the nose...Nice job! And thanks for pointing out the shadow on the upper lip...Funny, the longer we look at an image, the less we can see it.

I'm looking forward to posting more and getting your feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2008, 02:58 PM

I used D&B technic.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_QHOsw...eature=related
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (88.8 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 10:07 PM

hmmm...i'm not sure how i really feel about the subsequent edits. olbaldy, though your edit is technically better than mine, i feel that it's lacking in aesthetics (maybe just 'oomph!'). dont' get me wrong...i know you probably didn't spend as long as i did fine tuning the colors and all that...why would you? Aleksman, it looks like your tones are blurry and lack definition, but something is working there...I saw the link you posted...I personally think the Olsen pic was better 'before' rather than 'after'.

So all this to ask, from a professional retoucher's point of view, how much can be left to creative interpretation and how much needs be 'textbook' accurate? In other words, is it ultimately left to the eye of the beholder, or is there an industry standard expectation?

Last edited by jbedford; 12-06-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbedford View Post
... how much can be left to creative interpretation and how much needs be 'textbook' accurate? In other words, is it ultimately left to the eye of the beholder, or is there an industry standard expectation?
Both, I believe. And that tends to be the average of the critiques you will receive here. Some sway one way or the other, but if you could average them they would say both.

Color, lighting, makeup, etc are often subjective and certainly up to your or the client. Removing blemishes, fixing shadows, fixing fly away hairs, etc, are more technical and less subjective. Those aspects are easier to critique.

In your after shot, I would critique the lighting some, shadows alot, fly aways and blemishes alot. While you may say the original was not ideal and you did not intend to fix all of it, it can be done (most people would only do it for practice though). Since you did work on the skin and shadows though, those elements should be critiqued and worked on. The color and lighting we leave to you, whatever look you wanted.

Hope that is helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 AM

Smile Re: How's This (first post)?

Hi Jbedford,

I'm new to the retouch forum also.

I must say, those are the bluest eyes I've seen in a long time. Really beautiful. I played just to give you another option to check out. I would say welcome to the forum but I just got here myself so welcome us both.

LaDair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jbedford.jpg (34.7 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2008, 03:09 AM

Talking Re: How's This (first post)?

The original poster is probably long gone, but what the hell -- here's my take!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lightingretouch.jpg (81.6 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques