Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

1st critique post: Stevo-O

Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM

1st critique post: Stevo-O

Please be honest with me (brutal honesty is the best way to progress

C&C :http://www.flickr.com/photos/fooddude/3086223370/

I really didnt do much with skin blemishes as the pic was soft and not much detail. I basically did a hus/sat to rid red skin, cmyk correct, lots of burning and dodging, multiply layers, quadtone softlight, channel mixer desats, vignette, smoke layers, liquify her boney shoulders and slim the jaw bone, slight selective sharpen on eyes and parts of bike, lab color boost for lips, blush and parts of bike and dress, and lots of cloning and copied parts to rid of bike fork sticker, bike mirrors, crap on wall etc.,etc, got rid of a few wrinkles on dress (i couldve done more, but boy is it time consuming!), muddy effect with desat multiply layers,..thats all I can remember a the moment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Re: 1st critique post: Stevo-O

Nice image. It is impossible to examine the smaller details with the available resolution. So, I can only comment on the overall effect. I like what you did with most everything. I prefer a bit more color in the skin, a bit too green/gray for me... even knowing you were desat'g the whole thing. If you had the time, I would also have gone more on making a few changes on the bike, just to clean it up some and make it shine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 AM

thx..yes, the skin looks too desaturated( I was kinda going for that); maybe it'll look better not right next to the full color image since people can see the sat difference.

I was thinking about cleaning up the bike. Maybe im being lazy, but I think it looks better that the bike is a little dirty and grungy since it's kinda an old bike..i dunno

edit: i just re-uploaded a new 'after' with a quick cheapo 81 warming filter layer to add a tad more color to the skin. Its still a lil greenish, but not as grey. (I didnt want too much color in the skin)

Last edited by E Maguyon; 12-08-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM

E Mag,
you're an idiot, it's horrible....

I'm kidding of course. Like you though, i appreciate flat out, honest, critique, I only have a few areas to mention:

1. Depending on the client, perhaps Steve-0's left hand tattoo needs removed. Haha.
2. The image does look a little flat. To make the image composition a little bit more interesting, you may have to mask areas and adjust levels independantly (and slightly.)
3. The smoke coming off of the cigarette is too bright and distracting, personally I'd lower the opacity to 35%-45%.
4. I like your thinking behind keeping parts of the image dirty. Sometimes I will over sharpen area's of an image, and desaturate them to give them a colder, harder feeling.

Nice photo staging all around, did you shoot it?
RyRy
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM

no i did not shoot it, my boss did.

The cigg smoke was kinda hard to do to make realistic. I of course did a .2 gaus blur to match the softness of the priginal pic. I drop down the opacity to only 80-90%. Below that, the smoke doesnt look like smoke anymore and looks more like a ghost or a piece of plastic (kinda hard to expain). The smoke was basically iirc a 80-90% white/black mix. 100% white looks waay too fake.

Thx for the tips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 PM

I understand what you're saying about the smoke. In hindsight, you're right, setting it at 40-50% transparency would make it look fake. Perhaps revisting that area with a mask, and using a soft edged brush set to 30%, and overlapping your strokes would give you that smoke feel. Parts need to be more transluscent, but you still need that stroke or two of 90% white in there to make the smoke look realistic.

Seems like a fun project to be working on, who are you working for?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Patron

You might want to visit this movie by Bert Monroy on how to create swirling and wispy smoke
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM

thx, i saw that movie b4, but i opted for a channel layer mask of a smoke against black-drop image instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2008, 07:31 PM

I like to create smoke using circular black to white gradient, small. Then using the smudge tool and a really soft brush, drag the gradient in various directions with various sized brushes. It gives a nice soft edge, and nice difference in opacities.

A lot of the retouches in the photo come down to art direction. The actual retouching work is done well, and I like the retouch MUH better than the original. Nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM

JEje, I think your boss needs a critique XD You did a very good job, and the smoke can be redone b using brsuhes. It's true it draws too much attention to the viewer becuase is too bright and clean. Remember that white areas attracts too much the view. You have done a very nice retouching for this kind of job, which is not challenging and taking into account you're starting at this things.

Keep the good job, mate

Mart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques