RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Fashion critique for a newbie!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 AM

Thumbs down Fashion critique for a newbie!

Hey fellow re-touchers! I'm brand new to retouching and these forums, so nice to meet you. This is my third try at dodge and burn retouching. It took me waaaaay longer than it should have, but I'm getting faster every time. I'm looking for brutal, scathing critique please. The faster I know what I'm screwing up, the faster I can correct the habit. I've seen countless people post a retouch of theirs for a critique only to forget to mention what the image was intended for. I vowed never to make the same mistake!

This is intended to be a fashion retouch for an ad in a high end fashion magazine. The photographer wants a natural perfect skin look (don't they all!), and he mentioned that he wanted me to correct the model's hideously imbalanced facial features.

In case anyone is curious, this is what I did:

- Applied a general color correction and curves.
- Removed the massive zits with clone stamp
- Hours and hours of skin correcting dodge and burn
- Facial contour reshaping with good old D&B
- Eyes brightening and color
- Lip shaping and color
- Some fly-away hair removal around the face
- Adjusting skin tone
- That filter that you apply on overlay at the end that improves contrast, I can't remember what it's called.
- I'm sure I did more, but it's all a blur after the dodge and burn

I'm planning on taking the background out a little later, so I didn't bother cleaning up the fly-away hairs above her head.

One more thing. I uploaded the original and the retouch full size to flikr, but it is displaying a smaller version on their site. Anyone know why? Thanks in advance, and remember: Brutal critique!

EDIT:
Retouch: http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php...pg&loc=loc1109
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redbob1sma.jpg (65.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Seriousretouch1small.jpg (83.5 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 12-11-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Re: Fashion critique for a newbie!

why do you post so many topics about same stuff and same model? You could stick to same topic all you have to do is press post reply or edit...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Ah, sorry. I don't have the psychic ability to see which models are being discussed in which topic. I apologize for that. I'll make sure to search through every single topic before I make a post again. Sorry for wasting your valuable time. *the finger*
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Welcome to RetouchPro, Mikedimples. From what I can see on the small attachment:

Gap in hair, nose not balanced, for my taste the eyes are too bright, but that's just an opinion.

I am certain once the pros jump into this, they'll find more >:-) otherwise it looks quit nice. Keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the critique Amica. I'm always unsure how much to brighten the eyes. Looking at them again, they do look somewhat unnatural. I'll take a closer look at her nose, thanks.

Immedietly after I posted, I noticed the gap in her hair, the mark on her left cheek, and the line in the background (which will be removed, I'm thinking of replacing with a dark teal green gradient lighter at the top).

Does anyone know how I can get Flikr.com to host the full size image? Is there an other site that can host large images for free?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
Does anyone know how I can get Flikr.com to host the full size image? Is there an other site that can host large images for free?
Flickr will reduce your size (if it exceeds 1024 pixels) to Large which will be 1024 pixels. You can keep the original size if you have a pro account.

***ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or Flickr.com (5Meg , free).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks Olbaldy! Here is the full size retouch:

http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php...122_1109lo.jpg

So far I've been told eyes are too bright, nose is crooked, and gap in hair. Keep em' coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Patron

Looks like a very nice beginning!

As far as the eyes I think maybe the Iris could be darker and given some character.. then the whites of the eye may look OK.
Her nose, lower lip, cheeks need a shave..
eyebrows blocked up (too dark) (Will show as black splotches in print)
Crown of head blocked up (too dark, no detail)
Stray hairs on both sides of neck should be removed
highlights on nose and upper lip should have a little color
Basically look at all the dark areas and light areas and look for detail.. if there is none or it is hard to tell, or if the details are distracting like the hair on the lip... then it needs fixing because it is all in the small details..

A very nice job thus far......well done!

Just my opinion.. you may agree or not.. after all, it is your picture to do with what you want.

I checked to see if there was any detail to work with at the crown of the head... yeppers plenty to work with! Just needs some blending and some slight repairs..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unblocked.jpg (199.7 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks a bunch for that in-depth critique; I really appreciate it.

Does anyone have any advice for peach fuzz removal? I basically toned down them as much as I could using dodge and burn, but I think it would look strange if I completely flattened the luminosity there. Am I wrong in thinking that? Is there another trick?

I especially appreciate the advice about the overly-dark areas showing up ugly in print. I had no idea, from now on I'll make sure my deepest black isn't pure black.

I'm going to remove the background soon, after I decide what kind of gradient I want to put there. That's why there are crazy fly-away hairs everywhere. I should have just done it before I posted here, but I procrastinated.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques