RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

So what my level now??

Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 AM

Re: So what my level now??

Agreed on the freckles part, I would have kept them and maybe even added some around her cheek bones to make it slightly more interesting, but that's just me.

Also the right eye's dark circle/contour seems a bit too removed. I also would have maybe filled her bottom lip up a bit more, only because the creases under her lips where the color doesn't fill out is a bit distracting. It also might have slightly removed her look of a scowl(Her lips seem to slightly convey disgust).

I would have also kept the saturation of her lower liner, I don't know why you lightened it. The color of her eyes seems a bit bland as well.....

But if you're looking for brutal honesty I feel your level is still beginner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 AM

It's kind of hard to judge you on one picture really. But if I have to do it any way, then I'd rank you as a beginner. Skins ARE hard to get perfect.

Maybe you should put faces/skins away for a little while and practise on other surfaces. Any surface really. Try a bit of animal fur, a concrete wall, floorboards in perspective etc..

Keep practising and upload more work Marek. // Henk
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM

I agree with the freckle controversy. I think freckles are a part of who she is. It seems the cheeks have lost their form on your retouch due to lack of shadowing / color variance. On my monitor the overall coloration is a bit on the warm side, More yellow than necessary, however that may have been your intent. As already mentioned, the hair could have been cleaned up slightly considering the original.

Now to make a point. Why, might I ask, do most people feel skin has to be complete perfection? People simply don't have perfect skin. So what's the point in creating a retouch that isn't that person (unless you're selling a product that probably doesn't work anyway)? If this was someone I cared about, I would probably lean toward the original photograph complete with the freckle imperfection.

As far as what your level is . . . who am I to say? All I can tell you is what I see.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Smile Re: So what my level now??

If you are not doing this for a living then time, patience, experience and constructive critisism from here will help mold your ability, if you want to do this for a living then it's your client that assess your skill level before spending money...
I have been very guilty of overprocessing and just realising that as somebody else has said, there is a fine line, it's not like polishing a car until until you can see your reflection a mile away, people are organic and have flaws, i took a photo of my stepfather and offered to remove his nostril hairs, he refused because he is proud and likes to be presented as an old man which he is....
Less is sometimes more
On the plus side her eyes look ok, but they looked pretty good on the original, on the downside, the hair obviously, the warpaint under her eyes, the irritating bit to the right of her dress shoulder strap and why change a pefectly white balanced image to yellow, unless thats the way you wanted it, the sepia one is for my taste, washed out, but with some curves, levels etc could be better than the colour rendition.
It's also very important to know how the image will stand up to print, compressed 100kb shots will look entirely different at their native resolution, the 100% crop below was shot over the weekend with a less than average walkaround lens, a pro lens will give a much sharper image in fact looking at this again here i need to turn down the in camera sharpening a notch as i can see some halo's... rats!
It's all a learning curve and you'll get there and so will i eventually and many others and when you do arrive, you'll discover that it's the raw talent that was there from the very beginning that shapes and defines you...
Keep it up, i see no difference between your level or mine or if it even matters, i'm diagnosed as bipolar so sometimes what i see is a world away from others, sometimes i wish i could take my brain out, put it in a box and hide it under the bed when i sleep, just keep posting and if you listen to the wealth of talent here you will improve your skills tremendously.
Wishing you well, regards,
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indian_100_percent_crop.jpg (97.5 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM

Easy as polishing a car?Real polishing(washing,foaming,claying,wet sanding,polishing ,sealing,waxing ...)can take few days.http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ll-detail.html

You need a loot of practice to achieve good results,same is with retoushing.You have to practice ,practice, practice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Smile Re: So what my level now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksman71 View Post
Easy as polishing a car?Real polishing(washing,foaming,claying,wet sanding,polishing ,sealing,waxing ...)can take few days.http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ll-detail.html

You need a loot of practice to achieve good results,same is with retoushing.You have to practice ,practice, practice.
..................................................................................

I did not say "easy as polishing a car" ??? you are wrongly quoting me.
The phrase was an analogy and made no mention that it was easy to polish a car....
I have done my share of car valeting years ago and the thought of Pinnacle Ultra fine detailing Poly-Clay leaves me rather cold nowadays, as for "autogeek", i'm sure there is a highly technical and in-depth forum on how to greet customers at Wal-Mart, and i don't subscribe to that one either (substitute smiley for tongue in cheek which i can't locate anywhere), oh well i'd better get back to polishing my car it's taken me two days so far...
regards,
Gary
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques