RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Couple Of Owl Shots

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Svencool Svencool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Couple Of Owl Shots

Any helps on these would be appreciated.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owl_0102SSN1.jpg (82.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Owl_0103SSN1.jpg (73.2 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Swamps of Florida
Posts: 4,418
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Hi, Mike! Welcome to RetouchPro! Explore and Enjoy!

What help do are you looking for? Those are two good photos, but let us know what direction you would like to take them.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 PM
palms's Avatar
palms palms is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England
Posts: 5,685
Blog Entries: 30
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Mike i second what Swampy has already said great photo's and what sort of help would you like

I couldnt resist a small mess around so i used topaz adjust's crisp preset and some noise reduction

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owl_0103SSN1.jpg (87.1 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Aleksman71 Aleksman71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 158
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Is this what you are looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Owl1.jpg (82.8 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Svencool Svencool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksman71 View Post
Is this what you are looking for?
This is nice as it adds more contast from the back ground to his wing tips. What did you do to the photo?

Mike
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Svencool Svencool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Hi, Mike! Welcome to RetouchPro! Explore and Enjoy!

What help do are you looking for? Those are two good photos, but let us know what direction you would like to take them.
They just seemed like they needed something to me but didn't really have a clue of what to do to them. So I figured I would throw it out on the table and see what you guys and gals had to say.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 PM
amica999's Avatar
amica999 amica999 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Capital Village of Germany aka Berlin
Posts: 1,716
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Svencool, they are some awesome shots...when I have a little time I'd play
I just finished a table calendar with bird shots, if you don't mind look here: http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/Amica999/

Last edited by amica999; 12-31-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
Aleksman71 Aleksman71 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 158
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svencool View Post
This is nice as it adds more contast from the back ground to his wing tips. What did you do to the photo?

Mike
I used similar technique on this image.

first layer -->original image

layer one copy ->copy of first,overlay mode(opacity 82%)applyed shadow/highlight(50%)



layer 2-->painted with wight color(gaussian blur 12%)
Duplicate image,set to overlay 85%-->merge.Adjust highlight-midtone-shadow(10-100-100).Select all walls with mask,make image from mask,then duplicate and set to hard light(30%).Adjust color on this layer(more green).Also add some high pass sharpening to this layer.Merge all.

Make new raster layer,select paint brush(size 12,white 100%) and paint on edge of tiles on a wall,on crab edges(where it is allready lighter) and on flor reflection.Apply gaussian blur(12%).Set this layer to overlay(100%)if the crab is to darker just duplicate this layer and adjust opacity(usualy 20%).Merge all.

Make new raster layer.You can see that corners are darker.Apply mask(ellipse),invert mask and paint(with flood fill) the selection with black.remove mask and apply gaussian blur(65%).Set this layer to soft light.This is it.

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005594111952702898_rs.jpg (94.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Svencool Svencool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksman71 View Post
I used similar technique on this image.

first layer -->original image

layer one copy ->copy of first,overlay mode(opacity 82%)applyed shadow/highlight(50%)



layer 2-->painted with wight color(gaussian blur 12%)
Duplicate image,set to overlay 85%-->merge.Adjust highlight-midtone-shadow(10-100-100).Select all walls with mask,make image from mask,then duplicate and set to hard light(30%).Adjust color on this layer(more green).Also add some high pass sharpening to this layer.Merge all.

Make new raster layer,select paint brush(size 12,white 100%) and paint on edge of tiles on a wall,on crab edges(where it is allready lighter) and on flor reflection.Apply gaussian blur(12%).Set this layer to overlay(100%)if the crab is to darker just duplicate this layer and adjust opacity(usualy 20%).Merge all.

Make new raster layer.You can see that corners are darker.Apply mask(ellipse),invert mask and paint(with flood fill) the selection with black.remove mask and apply gaussian blur(65%).Set this layer to soft light.This is it.

.
That's it!!! Wow seems like a alot well I'm going to try to dupliacate that just to learn something new as I like how it turned out! I know most of the thing done around here are women ect ect so I was worried that posting an owl might not fly so to speak lol!!! I really do appreciate everyone's help!!!

Mike
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 12-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Svencool Svencool is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Re: Couple Of Owl Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Svencool, they are some awesome shots...when I have a little time I'd play
I just finished a table calendar with bird shots, if you don't mind look here: http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj235/Amica999/
They are just awesome!!!!!!!! Not sure what to say but Wow! I know it's not much of a compliment but to me they look like there painted on canvas!!!!

If you don't mind me askin how did you achieve that look?

Mike

PS mine look a little pale compared to those
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Few shots with my D40X chrishoggy Photography 5 10-26-2008 04:36 AM
B&W and Low Saturation Shots Blindv Photography 15 06-19-2008 02:24 AM
re: shots taken of an aquarium caslau Photo Retouching 7 05-25-2008 04:48 PM
Couple of maternity retouches, C&C please. kerl Critiques 5 05-05-2008 03:53 PM
a couple of filtered shots mimiya Photo-Art 101 1 09-14-2004 05:33 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved