RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Critiques The place to get serious, in-depth analysis and opinions of your work

Looking for CC please

Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 AM

Looking for CC please

I've been working in photoshop for years, but only decided to specialize in retouching in the last year or two. I started my own business and in addition to working with local photographers, I have an account on ModelMayhem. A few people just severely tore up my work in the critique forums but didn't give me anything specific I can work on or images I should take out. I'm really working to get better and I was hoping that some of you would tell me what I'm doing right and wrong.

My MM profile has the most pics. You can check it out here www.modelmayhem.com/finishingtouchstudio

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Re: Looking for CC please

Couldnt find what picture they "tore up" but overall you do good work.

If you could show a link to a specific picture. People can then critique it.

Overall, you do a great job controling vibrence and do a good job on cleaning up blemishes. Some things to work on, the eyes seem to be a bit all white. Your D&B is good for the face, but the body D&B is flat (pink headband picture). Personally, I think the Pink headband vibrence is a tad much, and gives away the editing.

My thoughts,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-02-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 01:37 PM

I was actually told my portfolio was inconsistent, some crap and some good stuff, by a few people and one person told me I should take it down til I get better. But only one person gave a specific photo that they didn't like (and I saw their point so I took it off). That's why I was hoping I'd get some better direction from others in my field.

Thanks for the specifics. I'll work on eyes and body d&b.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Hi!
My opinion is that you must work even harder on the D&B. The two first has way to uneven skin for me, both in face and body. Remember to work on a pixel basis first and then do some PWL with larger brushes and strokes. It takes forever but it's totaly worth it. I think it's much easier to se where to D&B if I make the image black and white.

But I really like the last one (the guy).
And by the way; Don't forget to keep some details in the dark areas (asian (?) woman especially).

Good luck!
/Karl
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM

I'll apologize in advance for being so verbose. What I would suggest is that you take what "you" think is one completed photograph (that you feel has merit) that is problematic, then put it up for critique (along with an original if possible). When one looks at an any individuals "entire" gallery, there will be likes and dislikes. Especially if there is not a consistant style. As others said; there are some fine examples and ideas that you have, however, the bottom line are images that you question.

Critique is difficult if you don't know what ones intentions and styles you're looking for. Every image worked on doesn't have to make it to a gallery. This is where your artistic eye plays in. Example: if Andrzej Dragan would post only one image without an explaination, no doubt someone would criticize it for being too contrasty. That said, I'm sure there are many ideas that he's spent hours with that had to be flushed as well.

One last comment. There are those that aspire to creativity and those that in some cases reject it.

Last edited by LQQKER; 01-09-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Critiques